4WD + snow tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Evergreen CO = mountains

Has anyone living in the mountains found the stock tires and 4WD set to snow sufficient for snow, ice after a day or two of snow + inclines?

I can wait and see if my wife slides off a cliff but that's a bit drastic ;-). Her old 4WD Suburban definitely needed snows. I'm wondering how far all the new, fancy, transmission electronics go toward eliminating the need for $ snows?

Mark

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think you need snow tires. I'd take a two wheel drive with good snow tires over a four wheel drive with all-season tires.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went through a 14”-18” depending elevation a couple of weeks ago. I was very impressed with the prowess of the all wheel drive system. But what was immediately evident as I regretted trying to get up my steep 11% grade road. The 22” tires ARE WORTHLESS!!!!!!! I mean worthless in the snow. Granted, this was a heavy, wet snow and the temps were hovering at freezing so it stayed wet and heavy. I have never been stuck in the 14 years we have lived year. This year we were out of commission. My 4 runner which normally does a great job had to use the winch several times. That being said...... I just cannot put an 18” steel wheel or something similar on for the winter. Maybe a 20” factory Ford F-150 or expedition wheel and some snow/winter tires. But if I had my druthers, I think I might keep my factory 22s and put winter/snow or some aggressive off road/all terrain(BFG KO2 or similar) when I put my Lexani Wraiths on there for most of the season.

After I careened down my road heading towards a 10’ tavern loaded with laurel trees and luckily stopped short!!!!! I parked it and walked to the house to begin the adventure with the 4 runner. Once the incline was plowed she (the flexpedition) came up and drove through the mile of deep snow with tracks from the 4Runner very good. I could feel power transferring between all the wheels.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd say if whoever drives the truck has to be at the office by a certain time each day, get snow tires. I live down in the Springs and we don't really get enough snow to warrant snow tires, but my wife has to be at work by 7:15 am every day. Her AWD suv has snow tires. It's just better peace of mind.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If either of us were still working I would absolutely have snows on the work vehicle. I hate to be late more than I hate the cost ;-). I know sometimes she'll think she's driving slower and think that she 'did' drive with snow and ice on her mind but...

So I guess it comes down to (for me) justifying the snows for her XLT 50/50, she really does need them/and insurance for my peace of mind.

Thanks for allowing me to air this out, get your feedback and come to a conclusion.

Mark

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It did and it didn’t. You had to keep the momentum going until you felt it simply build up to much. Stop before it stops you. Put it in reverse. You could now get great traction, good momentum and barrel through some more.

If you let it stop you, it was over, you had to dig it out. If you created indents for any of the tires, it would not move forward or reverse. A delicate battle for sure. I will try to post a video I took of my drive after the initial hill. It shows the road after I had made passes with both the 4 runner and the expedition. Early morning the center would be so hard from the drop in temp, it would make a hell of a racket underneath!!

And to be clear, this was the 14” stuff. The 18” was off the beaten path, snow drift, accumulation over thin brush ground covering. I don’t think I drove over anything more than 15”-16”

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It did and it didn’t. You had to keep the momentum going until you felt it simply build up to much. Stop before it stops you. Put it in reverse. You could now get great traction, good momentum and barrel through some more.

If you let it stop you, it was over, you had to dig it out. If you created indents for any of the tires, it would not move forward or reverse. A delicate battle for sure. I will try to post a video I took of my drive after the initial hill. It shows the road after I had made passes with both the 4 runner and the expedition. Early morning the center would be so hard from the drop in temp, it would make a hell of a racket underneath!!

And to be clear, this was the 14” stuff. The 18” was off the beaten path, snow drift, accumulation over thin brush ground covering. I don’t think I drove over anything more than 15”-16”

Sounds like something I did in my old explorer...didn’t get stuck either as I recall. Keep in mind this was back when they made a real Explorer lol.

46D3766D-9C8B-4C0F-8812-B38193309639.jpeg
C188164A-FB64-49A3-B185-CB644D6C10AA.jpeg

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like something I did in my old explorer...didn’t get stuck either as I recall. Keep in mind this was back when they made a real Explorer lol.

View attachment 28280
View attachment 28278
Seeing those pictures makes me happy to live in the warmer section of the country. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some snow but what you got there doesn’t look like the type that’s going away anytime soon.

OP
OP
M

Markg2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
04-18-09_0749.jpg 04-19-09_0758.jpg

This was our 7', 2009, 1 week snowed in, heaviest snow since moving to Evergreen. Trying to get out with the truck was a hail mary, cabin fever, doomed from the start escape attempt ;-). After realizing that me in the Silverado 4WD was not superman, I tried backing out one more time. The second time was in ~16-24" (had to get to an appointment before the driveway was plowed) and, backing down the steep part to the our turnout before heading the rest of the way down, I floated the truck off the side of the driveway only to be towed out by AAA after snow melt.

My concern is not for the above 'learning experiences' but after we've been plowed and it remains cold and you've got slick on the driveway. I had Blizzack snows on her Burb and that's what I'll again order from Costco. When the OEM tires give out, I'll get a good Michelin all weather set and test those on the slick before getting a second set of snows.