97 xlt aircon repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your interested in more information on mobile a/c systems check out MACS - mobile air conditioning society. They have a study guide on the 609 Cert that covers r134a do's and don'ts. You need to watch how much oil is added to a system. If yours hasn't been flushed or had oil removed there is a possibility that you have too much in there.

Last edited:

vigman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope you cleaned that valve before you put it back together.. there was a fair amount of YUCK on it....

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your interested in more information on mobile a/c systems check out MACS - mobile air conditioning society. They have a study guide on the 609 Cert that covers r134a do's and don'ts. You need to watch how much oil is added to a system. If yours hasn't been flushed or had oil removed there is a possibility that you have too much in there.

i believe for the most part it was empty and I lost a lot of oil in the compressor and manifold hose in transit from GA when I got cut off and it all tumbled and spilled. I checked that the hoses and compressor were empty before I installed it but if it lasts the summer I may have it flushed and replace the compressor and drier with oem parts as the used compressor had 320k on it when I pulled it from the donor. that will help me be sure I have the exact amount of oil in there. if everything works for the summer I will just run it till it shows signs of failure.

""I hope you cleaned that valve before you put it back together.. there was a fair amount of YUCK on it.... ""

yeah, i let it sit in gas for a bit and took an old tooth brush to it then hit it with compressed air. I dipped it in some of the ac oil before installing it.

""And used O ring...not my FIRST choice.. was the donor car a R 134 system? ""

well, I didn't trust the o rings auto zone was selling and the donor was a near perfect match and it was what I had, it came from an 05 kia so it wasn't too old. the rest of the seals were in great condition and not hard at all, i could see no signs of age on them. any connection I opened got some oil on the seal before being re connected and I believe that helped a great deal.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
alright, it's been five days since the recharge. the system seems to be working fine and is cooling great except when I am at idle and at nominal engine temp.. It feels like the temperature from the vents goes up about 8 deg until I rev the engine to about 1.3k (idle at about 6 or 700 according to tach) when I hold the throttle there it goes back to cooling after the clutch fan spins up again.

the only complaint I have is that the ac is on in every other selection other than "panel" I am going to try to get a push button switch to override the compressor activation as I used to be able to do in my last car.