98 Expy Shifting Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tslice

Reaction score
new expy owner and new to the board so I apologize if this is lengthy. I just bought a 98 Expy this week and I am in love. It is a one owner and has 102,000 on the clock. I took it and got her tuned up (found two broken coils got them fixed as well) and she idles real smooth. When I am driving she goes through the gears fine but she seems like she wants to sit into fourth gear early. There is no slipping or noise it just seems like when she gets into third she wants to go right into fourth. I drive her real easy and don't like to push her so maybe it's my driving but when she gets into fourth and I'm at 45mph it just seems like theres no power or torque. She'll drop down in gear and take off like a bat out of hell if I goose her but it just seems like at 45mph she just has no torque or accelleration unless I make her shift to a lower gear. Is this normal? I have heard about chips where you can adjust the shifting but not to sure on this. Thanks for any responses.

Slice

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this can be fixed with a custom tune.... you have noticed the same thing that seems to plague all of the trucks. It makes a big difference when 3rd gear is held a little longer at part throttle.
Matt R

OP
OP
T

tslice

Reaction score
How would I go about getting a custom tune and what would that consist of? Thanks.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, but none of the aftermarket canned reflash devices you buy address this, they just tune for the best power at WOT.....
There are some custom tuners out there that can address this. PM me if interested.