'99 4.6 won't start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, thanks for all the replies so far, great help. New problem, my manual is for a 2000 expy, my truck is a 99... Anyone know where I can get a proper fuse diagram? **disregard , found a manual on line for my 99**.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK problem solved! Previous owner stopped by after he got done work, ironically enough, he's a mechanic... Checked a few things, didn't get any fuel thru the line bleeder, asked for a rubber mallet, tapped the tank a few times around the fuel pump and it started right up. Burned REALLY rich at fist but then normalized after a bit.

Fuel line clog... Just filled yesterday too, grr... So... Seafoam in the gas tank should remedy that from happening again, right? 1 can per 1full tank from what I've read on here, right?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to bust your bubble but wishful thinking. I would suspect the fuel pump is on the way out.
What the mechanic did is an old trick for when starters hangup, just did it on the fuel pump.

Think about it, if the pump was clogged why would it start up rich? It didn't start due to lack of fuel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to bust your bubble but wishful thinking. I would suspect the fuel pump is on the way out.
What the mechanic did is an old trick for when starters hangup, just did it on the fuel pump.

Think about it, if the pump was clogged why would it start up rich? It didn't start due to lack of fuel.

I have intermittent rich exhaust because of the p0401 code I've been getting so I didn't think too much of it. It often smells rich right after starting by normalizes quickly... but I did think of that too that the fuel pump was on the way out. Hope not but I'm realistic.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, seeing as that the hammer "fixed" the pump, go ahead and buy the pump and be prepping for replacement. In my opinion, something that is critical for the truck to run is/should be top priority in the repairs. especially if this is a daily driver.

also, if not done already, get the fuel filter replaced when you do the pump as a while you're at it repair.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you hear the starter that tells you the problem isn't electrical. There are now 2 possibilities, first being broken teeth on the flywheel/ring gear or pinion gear on the starter. Second is the pinion gear is fine but not meshing with the ring gear due to a starter issue.
Easiest check would be to pull the inspection plate and rotate the crank while inspecting the teeth. If they pass inspection replace the starter or pinion gear with a quality unit, not the cheap remans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kermit

Kermit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys... So check starter/flywheel and buy new fuel pump preparing for the inevitable failure... Funny thing, before this I was getting a check engine light with a p0401 code but since disconnecting the battery for a while and clearing the codes it hasn't come back up... Yet... And it's running/idling smoother than post failure. Put seafoam in the gas tank today, just half a can tho, didn't want to over do it since Idk how it'll react to it. Didn't wanna burn anything up.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet if you check your getting a P1000 code which is drive cycle Once that clears then the P0401 code most likely will reappear

If I were you I would replace the fuel pump before the weather gets to bad unless your going to have a shop replace the pump

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington