99 pi swapped into 98 non-pi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homermandy

Reaction score
Ok, so I have completed the swap of the motor. I have a 1998 5.4 expedition and the motor I swapped has the PI heads and intake from I believe a late 1998 or early 1999. I am trying to post a pic of the old and new intake. I am confused if I will have problems because the old manifold has an electrical connector/hose combo at the front but the new one only has the hose.

Also, the old one had an electrical connection at the lower intake at the front, but the new one does not....

Any ideas? new pi.jpgold nonpi.jpg

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Me too.

I would guess that if there were a problem, it would be pretty easy to add a temp sensor somewhere to give the computer that data.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a coolant temp sensor and needs to be installed. The new engine should also have a bung for the sensor, just need to find out where it is located or just "T" off from the bung on the runner.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
The "PI" motors do not have the coolant temp sensor in the intake manifold. They only have cylinder head temp sensor located directly under the manifold near the thermostat.

It can be seen here:http://www.expeditionforum.com/atta...blown-expy-coming-soon-expy-2-removal-002.jpg

I believe the non-pi motors have both coolant temp sensor and cylinder head temp sensor. Another member here 'Swagga' did the "pi" conversion along with the lightning swap. We conversed back and forth about this issue and believe his solution was to mount the coolant temp sensor in the block on the side. There are threaded K.O.'s of the correct size if I remember correctly.

You should PM Swagga to get the details!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

homermandy

Reaction score
Thx for the updates. I did see a sensor with a connector coming out of the drivers side head. Man I hope this thing doesn't light up with error codes like a Christmas tree when I go to start it.

What about the old intake connector at the lower intake then? The new intake doesn't have a connector.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
/
Thx for the updates. I did see a sensor with a connector coming out of the drivers side head. Man I hope this thing doesn't light up with error codes like a Christmas tree when I go to start it.

What about the old intake connector at the lower intake then? The new intake doesn't have a connector.

That's the coolant temp sensor I was referring too. I believe Swagga mounted it into the block as there was a threaded knock out in the block coolant passage that was convenient. Other options may be drilling and tapping lower intake to accept the sensor. Or rewrite the tune to do away with the sensor using only the cylinder head temp sensor as the PI motors do.

Try and PM Swagga. His solution was/is the simpliest I believe.

OP
OP
H

homermandy

Reaction score
Thx. Just messaged swagga. I am confused what the top sensor is then that is doubled to the hose. I would think that would be the temp sensor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt