99 turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott99eb

Reaction score
99 eddie bauer right hand turn signal is flashing fast like a bulb is out. My troubleshooting procedure so far:

1. Check bulbs. Yep, all bulbs replaced and sockets cleaned.
2. Deduce that something is wrong with the switch. Remove snazzy covers inside to access the switch. Discover that the switch was replaced with an aftermarket switch and the Redneck that replaced it likes to repair broken connectors with duct tape. This leads to……
3. Replace bbroken connector to turn signal switch. Spliced into the wiring harness with solder and heat shrink, not butt connectors and tape. Still not working properly.
4. Figure the switch is bad, replace switch. This is the 5th F150/Expedition that I have had so I have spare parts. Replace the switch with a used one, turn signals work great, but the wipers (front and rear) come on and wont stop.
5. OK, bad switch; replace with another switch fresh from Pull-A-Part. No dice. Same thing, turn signals work great, wipers wont stop.
6. Two bad swtiches in a row is possible, not likely. Proceed to Autozone to obtain new switch. Install new switch, turn on key. Turn signals work great, wipers WONT STOP!!!!!!

Keep in mind that everything but the RH turn signal works great with the aftermarket switch that was installed by some previous owner, what I don’t understand is why the wipers go nuts when I change the switch. Help?
Thanks, Scott

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The most efficient way to fix electrical problems is to obtain the wiring schematic then troubleshoot the circuit.

If the wipers worked correctly prior to changing the connector, I would double check how it is connected back into the harness.

Not pointing fingers - only using simple logic. Two things have changed, the switch and the connector. If the switch is the correct one then it points to the connector/wiring.

OP
OP
S

scott99eb

Reaction score
Finally had somemore tie to work o this........

After it being suggested that the flasher was bad, I replaced it with a new flasher the the 'Zone andeverything was blinking normally, just as it should. Fixed............

A couple of weeks later one of the guys from work told me that the right side wasnt blinking...... Hmmmmmm

Head off to the local stealership, purchase a new MFS for a 1999 Expedition. Change it out: Turn signals work great, windshield wipers go CRAZY...... WTF??????????? Check Ford Parts Direct, usingthe VIN number, yes, it is the proper switch

At my wits end, I think about something crazy...... I replaced the fuel pressure regulator a month or so back, none of the parts stores had the correct one. THe picture in the listing didnt match what I had. Finally found someone to look into it, it turns out that mine uses a 1998 FPR...... I woder if the MFS for a 1998 wouLd work?

Head back to the stealership and check part numbers, a 1998 has a different part number form a 1999...... It doesnt work, whats the worstthat could happen? Stealership trades the switches out, I install the 1998 MFS into a 1999 EB..... and....... IT WORKS! I haveno idea why, but it seems that my Expedition, with a build date of 3/99, seems to have more 1998 parts than 1999 parts.

Bottom Line: Its fixed, and fixed properly

BlackBeauty

Reaction score
My 97 has been giving issues. Drivers window wouldnt work while in reverse or drive, left blinker would go fast if tilt steering was down. Last but not least.... when i put it into drive, my right side lights in cluster would come on 10 seconds after the dome light goes out. The dome light then came back on after the cluster lights go out. (only the bottom right cluster lights). Loose connection to the MFS. Its prolly screwed but will have to do for now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997R using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deena