A "Shocking" discussion, shocks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shocks. I thought mine were loose because I bounced a lot. I towed yesterday, and thought I could hear the frame on the tires...

Does anybody have any recommendations on shocks, install [which I assume I can do], what to buy, brands to avoid (or to void?), what colors look best, etc. I have never had to do shocks, they have always held up for the time I owned a vehicle.

I assume [and we know what happens there] you have to replace all 4 when you do replace them.

Thank you for all the Information.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 2wd/4AWD/4hi/4lo, the tires are brand new, and I do NOT have air ride.

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like my Rough Country shocks. I recommend Air Lift bags for your rear springs. They work great for towing.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had seen all kinds of lift ride devices all over the RV store and the Car Parts store. Do they install easy enough/during the process of an install anyway? and I do this in ADDITION to a new shock? Can I go cheaper on the shock if I add a air lift dealy?

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They aren't hard to install. They fold up and you push them inside the coil spring. If your shocks need replacement, this isn't a fix. It's a towing and load hauling mod.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm planning on going with some Rancho RS5000 shocks on mine soon. Had them on 2 previous Explorers and really liked them.

OP
OP
A

AbbadonTD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was going to do the shocks ANYWAY - so I figured if I am there... There are "towing" shocks out there with big springs and such. Monroe makes some i have seen [just what I saw] and so I thought I would see what opinions abounded. Air lift seemed like a great idea, but I have no experience at all.

Rancho makes some awesome shocks. Those are their cheap ones. Cheap good vs good cheap. I go Cheap Good every time. I may go with those.

ARiley23

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rancho rs5000 work great for me I do towing every once and a while and they seem to do the job!
Rockauto has good prices.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't do any towing or heavy off roading so I stick with basics so having said that...yesterday purchased Monroe sensatrack to install. I had them on couple of previous trucks and they work good.
I actually walked in to get the blisteins but they were at the warehouse and it wasn't going to be ready to picked up until today so I decided to go with monroes.

Couple of things...they were twenty bucks a piece cheaper and according to the interwebz reviews they ride pretty much same as the blisteins being mono tube and stuff.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe the ones that come in the Monroe Coil Conversion Kit are Sensa-Tracs. That being said I've had nothing but good things to say about mine, I do tow and have gone offroad, both instances have been handled well. I can easily tell they aren't the OME Nitrochargers I had on my previous 4x4, but they are perfectly sufficient for the application and seem to be holding up well.