Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm telling you folks, I"m pretty impressed with the RCI package. They were great. I know Covid has made them a tad difficult at times to get a hold of, but I was very impressed. Make sure though that you get the right setup, we need the older setup on the 4th gen models. They will help you through that, I accidentally bought the newest F150 setup and had to make some mods and it barely fit, but they assured me the previous gen F150 setup fits the 4th gen perfectly. I know I've posted a few photos of them before.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If 5280 is correct RCI is the way to go. Their plates are far superior to factory and cheaper.
I had their transmission skid on my 2016 Expedition and it was great.
I bought a Tundra and their skids were one of the first things I ordered for it. Hopefully they’ll be here in the next few weeks.

If anyone orders from RCI try the coupon code TW. Saved me $28 off a $550 order. Not sure if it is still active or not. I ordered a few weeks ago.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to include them for ease of use, here's the parts.
The engine and tranny skids -
https://rcimetalworks.com/product-category/ford/expedition-navigator/07-17-expedition-navigator/

I also received the transfer case skid since I ordered the wrong kit, but I actually made it work quite easily, just used a couple of the quick fasteners and had to drill a couple bolts but it worked great.
https://rcimetalworks.com/product/2015-2019-f-150-transfer-case-skid-plate/

No again, I made the mistake of ordering this kit, and while it worked fine, I did have to drill some extra holes, use some extra clips, and it barely fit front to back, I will probably some day replace a couple of the parts just so they fit a little better (but again, this was my mistake, I didn't check ahead)
https://rcimetalworks.com/product/2015-2019-f-150-full-skid-plate-package/

If you have any questions, Tim @ RCI is great to work with, very knowledgeable.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thing about the lge is you get to trim the bumper up. It would appear like a body lift which would make the truck look closer to your 6" goal...

Who cares about the sensors? I'd just turn them off. You have a camera...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the RCI plates will work with even the front airdam on but I took mine off regardless. I was worried about things like tire treads on the highway ripping through the cardboard crap under these.

I also put one of the valves on the oil plug just because it will flow straight down through the opening in the skid plate now.

Last edited:

Slipstream

Reaction score
very useful thread.
I am in the process of making our '19 Limited Special Ed a little more off-road capable. Started by taking off the front air dam last night and I just ordered the engine skid plates from RCI (coupon code still works btw). Hoping it will bolt up with no drilling/cutting. For the remaining ones I will most likely go with the OEM plates. As an FYI - those prices that others quoted from last year are no longer available. Either Ford raised the List prices on these or the discount got smaller (the former is more likely as I searched several different online dealers and their discount % are pretty close). Its about $900 for the entire set (vs $600 quoted by other users prior).

Slipstream

Reaction score
So in the spirit of broadening our collective knowledge.....the RCI engine skid plate ended up to be quite the project. I ended up ordering the 09-14 F-150 plate as suggested in prior posts. For reference I have a 2019 Limited Special Edition. If you are counting on them being a 'bolt-on' application...don't. I ended up getting them installed and they fit nicely now, but it cost me $150 bucks of shop time to make the required modifications. The front brackets needed to be modified (drilled an hole in a different spot) and added 2 more bolts to better secure the 2 plates together. Also contrary to the post above (which I think is using the 15-19 F150 skid plates), the mounting location of the brackets is different. I ended up mounting mine on the front 2 bolts (including the tow hook bolt) instead of the back 2. This was the only way to align the rear bolts on the 2 plate. Pics attached. IMG_1765.jpg IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1767.jpg IMG_1768.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65