All Season Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you guys finding out to be the better choice of tires to use for all season applications? I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan where we are subject to snow, ice, rain, etc...

Currently I have Pirelli Scorpions that are probably going to make it through this season, but I want to see if this is the better choice for the next set or if there is something much better that I should look into. I am not interested in tires that make a lot of road noise.

Oh yeah, it is a 2007 el.

Thanks

Austin

Reaction score
I quickly found out the Contracs my 07 came with were not going to cut it. I put a set of Destination AT's on about 20,000 milles ago. I do a lot of off highway driving in loose rock and soft sand as well as mud with all the rain lately. I have been very impressed. They are quite on the highway and plenty agressive off the road. They are showing very little wear and I expect to easily get another 40,000 out of them.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely NOT Continental Contitracs. Those things wear well, but traction in wet conditions is not great, and they have a ton of road noise. I can't wait until the tread wears out so I can replace them.

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I quickly found out the Contracs my 07 came with were not going to cut it. I put a set of Destination AT's on about 20,000 milles ago. I do a lot of off highway driving in loose rock and soft sand as well as mud with all the rain lately. I have been very impressed. They are quite on the highway and plenty agressive off the road. They are showing very little wear and I expect to easily get another 40,000 out of them.

Thanks for the info on this-looks like I might be looking at firestones.

Definitely NOT Continental Contitracs. Those things wear well, but traction in wet conditions is not great, and they have a ton of road noise. I can't wait until the tread wears out so I can replace them.

This solidifies it-definitely no connies for me!

firefighter407

Reaction score
I'm running a set of Bridgestone Revo on my 99, had them for about 2 years, smooth ride, and had no problem going through about 2 ft. of snow last winter. Had BFG A/T before great tires in all weather but little rougher ride and road noise, but wear quicker if not rotated.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a set of Toyo open county tires for my wife's Sequoia. I have been very pleased with the dry and wet performance. Handling and ride have greatly improved. Also these tires have stability ribs in the shoulders of the tires to reduce shoulder wear. 15,000 miles and they still look brand new. I plan to buy a set for my 2002 xlt soon. The open county has several variations depending on your needs.

Last edited:

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on your truck? I have a 07 EL with the Scorpions. 36K and I really am starting to watch the tread depth. Are these tires a little soft? Oh, northern Illinois so we are getting similar ground cover.

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on your truck? I have a 07 EL with the Scorpions. 36K and I really am starting to watch the tread depth. Are these tires a little soft? Oh, northern Illinois so we are getting similar ground cover.

I have 31K and have about 8/32 tread available. They may be a little soft, but one thing I sure like is the ride, really no road noise at all.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
07 EL with Pirellis

Well I just went through this. I wanted to replace the Pirelli STRs with Firestone Destination ATs since I needed an all terrain tire with good mud and snow traction. I've had Firestones Destination ATs on my 02 Expy and was very favorably impressed.

The Destination At has almost the same traction as the BFGs but a lot less road noise. Its pretty impressive for an AT tire. I ended up going with Bridgestone Dueler ATs (not revos). If you look at the info on the tires, the Bridgestones have a lot of the same features as the Desitnation AT (even the tread pattersn look real similar) and they were buy 3 get 1 free when I bought so.....

I saw an immediate improvement in the mud and snow traction. Very good tire so far. About equal to the Firestones IMO so far. This isn't a real surprise since Bridgestone owns Firestone and I'm sure the share a lot of the same technology.