All this signature stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The way I see it - mandating use of signature flies in the face of what an online forums should be; a place somebody enjoys visiting. Using the argument "This law/rule is here so WE can HELP you - it's for your own good" is much too heavy for a forums; especially one that's car-related. Frankly, it smells-strongly Obama in nature "Give the Govt your money so we can GIVE YOU MONEY! It's really for your own good!" :-/

If somebody doesn't give all the required info, there are likely one of only a couple reasons: they are new to forums and don't really think too much about that kinda stuff. They might be new to Expeditions and do not much think about the sometimes big differences between model year. Or, they really don't WANT help.

One really good way for people to get help from a forum - and I think 'helping people' is WAY down the priority list for a forum - the good way is for them to learn how to ask the right questions, and ask them the right way.

Mandating content of a signature line does NOT prevent people from anything; how many times have y'all been asked what size tires you have or what lift you have even with it right there? For me about Eleventy-seven times.

If a signature is an option on the control panel - as in 'show signatures' mandating signature content cannot be enforced. As I tried to ask in the announcement of the 'signature requirement' thread in 'site news' - are we talking 'Do this or you'll be banned?'

Darin

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who is mandating the sig info?
I've been asking new members to update the profile and the reason for doing so - witbout threats of being banned. The idea is just to be a time saver since there are differences in not only the years but production runs during a year.

Last edited:

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer to think of the signature line as more of a bragging space...
Granted vehicle info in the signature can help some threads, but by no means should it be "required".
After all, why wouldn't we be proud of our Expy's and want to tell everyone about it?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The thing about the sig line is it puts some of the information that is already in a persons profile on every post they make. Make it easy to give the person correct and specific answers to their questions. Saves time or having to ask for the information I also fell know that information is more important when dealing with electrical issues as a lot already there many differences from model year to model year Just look at the 4x4 electrical systems on the 1st gens. Some have the switch for 2wd and some don't so if I were to send someone the wrong print for their expy they wouldn't be to happy

And then there was one member whose screen name gave the idea that his expy was the same year as the name but come to find out he traded that one in for a newer year. And if you wonder I did send him information for the year he no longer had but it worked out in the end

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been asking new members to update the profile and the reason for doing so - witbout threats of being banned. The idea is just to be a time saver since there are differences in not only the years but production runs during a year.

roxy1225 has taken it upon himself to run around to all the sub forums like some sort of net nanny attempting to enforce some sort of signature rule. I got into it with yesterday on 3rd Gen. It was on the forum but now it is continuing with pm's which is fine with me. I think he became upset when
I reminded him that his posts about signatures was off topic, a no, no.

Personally I have never used signatures, found them to be a waste of space I really don't care if somebody has neon or velvet seats. Imho.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score

In site news 6K Watt has posted a regulation concerning signatures. I have asked for a bit of clarification