am I tripping, or does fog light use dent MPG??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 4x4 Eddie averaged about 10 city 15 highway. Do I hate it ? Hell yeah, do I tear into it to make it go up 1-2 mpg? Are you nuts. It's not worth the chance of messing something up. Like the other poster said, don't worry about it. Your getting killer mileage at 15. Enjoy your SUV the way it is. Leave your fog lights off, use your high beams. This is the first vehicle I've had in a while that even had fog/running lights. Life is full of much more important crap than to worry about something this trivial. Clean your connectors to lights and all electrical items related if your concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXWarthog

Reaction score
Turning off your fog lights would cause typically cause an decrease in fuel economy because the extreme heat being emitted from the lights would create an higher density altitude.

Because the air is cooler with the lights off, you'll have a lower density altitude.

With the lower density altitude, the air is much thicker, and creates more strain on the engine due to increased aerodynamic forces on the vehicle.

So, leave ALL your lights on all the time to decrease the aerodynamic forces on your vehicle.

(While the science behind this is correct, this isn't true in that the difference is so minute that it would probably not even register on any instruments. However, I had to have a little fun.)