Any good After market catalytic converters ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chris77

Chris77

Reaction score
Was looking at BENCHMARK brand but not familiar with them. Or should I just go OEM

Not sure how good oem if they went bad already at 90,000

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My experience is that OEM is far superior to what's out there. But you pay for that. I've used Wagner which rot out in 60K miles, and they are considered to be the aftermarket standard. Tasca or even Rock seems to have the best OEM prices, but it will still cost you big time.

Consider how long you'll be keeping this beast and take it from there. And good luck getting the thing off the manifold.

OP
OP
Chris77

Chris77

Reaction score
Thx for reply. Truck is an 04 exp with a 5.4l and 90,000 on it. Trying to keep it as long as I can but dnt know what I can get out of it. Truck seems clean only issue I noticed was plug # blew out in past. Have an in law with a shop doing exhuast work

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
What is issue? CEL PO420/PO421(Cat below 97% threshold)? Is it plugged. Muffler shops weld a generic unit into your exhaust(band aid). You may have 4, are they all bad? Coverters vary in quality. It is level of precious medals, used in manufacture. The cheap ones are not OEM quality. There is direct replacement on ebay California and non-California, models. If you still have a misfire condition, after installing, you will ruin new ones. Fix engine issue first.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does any one know a good after market catalytic converter brand for California regulationS

Go to the hood or a heavily hispanic area, they got tons of "trade in your trashed cat" businesses that mount up some kinda refurb for a pretty modest fee

Just check yelp or something before committing to a place, there seem to be plenty to choose from

And inquire politely if their rig "passes-passes CA smog" or involves exclusively patronizing their cousin's smog station in future

OP
OP
Chris77

Chris77

Reaction score
No codes yet. Cat is rattling inside. And plugs need to be changed other than that truck feels fine. Is ford making ****** cats or is engine issues cause them to fall apart. I’ve had Chevys suvs And nissans amd never had a cat go bad

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
No codes yet. Cat is rattling inside. And plugs need to be changed other than that truck feels fine. Is ford making ****** cats or is engine issues cause them to fall apart. I’ve had Chevys suvs And nissans amd never had a cat go bad
My heat shield rattled a bit. You have no codes? Truck drives fine. Sounds like replacement not needed. Crawl under it and lightly tap on shields.

OP
OP
Chris77

Chris77

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I though. Nothing loose and also had a cousin inlaw look at in his shop. They are saying its the guts of the cat.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd place to have a rattle methinks.

Probably heatshield or exhaust have worked themselves loose and just need to be fastened down properly