Any inputs on what brake controller to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello....I have a 99 XLT 5.4L and I am looking for a break controller so we can pull our camper next month.

The camper is a 2 axle camper with a maximum gross weight of 5,000 Lbs.

I went to e-trailer and other sites but like with everything else the are so many options that it just gets confusing.

Anybody have an input on what brake controller to buy or from where?...Im just looking for something reliable.

Also correct me if I am wrong but these trucks along with towing package come pre-wired for the brake controller correct...I believe the wires are underneath around the port were you plug the code reader?

Thanks for the help

mbaessler

Reaction score
Agree with Ackman other than I just bought the P2. I got rid of my timer based. The timer based never knows what is going on other than you touched your brake. So if you are in stop and go traffic and touching your brake a lot eventually your trailer starts breaking way to much and locks up the wheels. The proportional one sense the deceleration on the tow vehicle and applies the right amount of braking force to match the truck. You will have to decide which one meets your needs the best the Prodgy P2 or P3. MIke

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the P3 and it works like a champ. Compare the features between the P2/P3 and see which one you might prefer. Can't go wrong with either one.

No matter which make/model you go with, the proportional type is what you want. It will adjust to your driving and make it a better experience.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys.....yes the P3 definitely looks to be a top of the line break controller. I like the fact that it has a screen with menus, settings etc. It is in the higher price bracket but seeing what the cheaper versions look like, it makes the extra cost worth it.