Anyone put an ecoboost into a 2nd gen Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Taylor

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, this is my first post. I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer with 195,000 miles on it. I have the original 5.4L. Everything is pretty much stock at this point. I'm thinking ahead to having to do something with the engine in a few years and was wondering if anyone has put a newer F150 Ecoboost into a 2nd gen Expedition.

MR. EDDIE

Reaction score
I thought about this but couldn't find an engine at a good price. So I replaced mine with an 04 2v 5.4. But am looking to do it later on. Keep us posted on your findings.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I thought about this idea prior but in all reality my truck's value isn't worth the money this swap will require, I mean if I had a super low mileage 2006 limited or KR okay I can see the benefit of doing the swap but 100k+ XLT is just not the best platform...

Truly if I was able to afford the payments I'd get me a 2017 platinum EL but even if I sold my expy and Infiniti and used that money as down payment the monthly payment will still come out to double what my infiniti's payment was.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Taylor

Reaction score
I thought about this idea prior but in all reality my truck's value isn't worth the money this swap will require, I mean if I had a super low mileage 2006 limited or KR okay I can see the benefit of doing the swap but 100k+ XLT is just not the best platform...

Truly if I was able to afford the payments I'd get me a 2017 platinum EL but even if I sold my expy and Infiniti and used that money as down payment the monthly payment will still come out to double what my infiniti's payment was.

I know what you mean about a 2017 platinum EL, nice ride. I've had my '04 for 7 years now, and haven't had a payment for a few years now, so my thinking is that even if I dump 10-12 grand in and engine swap it's still tens of thousands of dollars cheaper than a new one. We don't have harsh winters here in Tennessee so body rust isn't an issue. So it's just a lot cheaper to keep what I have and drop in a new engine when the time comes. I'm not planning to sell anytime soon, so I'm not as worried about resale value, I'm comparing the cost of an engine swap to the cost of replacing the truck with something that has a whole set of new problems.

I was really hoping to run into someone here in this forum that had tried this or knew of someone that had tried this. So far, no luck.....

5.4T

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested in the swap as well! Seen an expy do 1/4 mile in 13 seconds! I've been eyeballing some salvaged navigator or expedition. Maybe find one that's been flipped and swap my body onto it. Hopefully some one does this soon with a diy article.

OP
OP
J

Jeff Taylor

Reaction score
5.4T that would be the perfect situation for me too. Find a wrecked donor vehicle that has the engine, transmission, and computers that I could just put into my Expy. If you run across a DIY article on this, please share. I'd love to see one as well.