are 2003 expeditions reliable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

macarollo

Reaction score

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have an 03 5.4 4x4. 110k miles i've owned since 05. no major problems. some minor ones like driver window switch sometimes not wanting to go up. and ac just went warm. but other than that no problems.

E36Graduate

Reaction score
We had an 03 XLT and just sold it with 100,000 miles. Me and my mechanic changed the plugs and it wasn't a big deal...you just gotta be careful with those plugs in the back. I just changed out the drive belt and all the pulleys...no biggie.

We never had any issues with the truck and was running quite well at 100K. The fuel filter will need to be changed...I just changed mine and it was corroding .

Change the oil...maybe flush that tranny out...then again, maybe not. Our 100k truck was still on original fluid and no issues whatsoever with the tranny.

E36Graduate

Reaction score
Oh yea...the ball joints were original too at 100K. The ball joints on my 06 I just bought were just replaced at 36K????

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have an 03 5.4 4x4. 110k miles i've owned since 05. no major problems. some minor ones like driver window switch sometimes not wanting to go up. and ac just went warm. but other than that no problems.

130k on my 03 and I've had the same problems as tallsville but nothing that will keep you from getting from point A to point B

Puchichi

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2003 XLT on 7/31/2010. I must say that my truck has no flaws at all. The only flaw that was fixed before my purchase was the rack & pinion box and a power steering box, both installed new by the dealer. I will however, change the tranny fluid, transfer-case & differential fluid. And, do a 100k mile full service to my truck. I expect this truck to last at least 250k like my old 97' Explorer that had lots of preventive maint. Otherwise, Ford trucks are solid!

bobthegod

Reaction score
I have an '03 Eddie Bauer with 112,000 on the clock. Bought it in 04 with 18k on it then. drove it 100,000 miles and haven't doen a thing to it other then change fluids. Then it spit a plug.....not the thread failure like older models just a plug that failed and spit. Had the shop install a new one and a new coil....changed all the other plugs too, put on a new serpentine belt. Always doing the air filter and oil changes regularly. But have to say it's been a VERY reliable vehicle. I had an '01 before this and liked it so much I got this one. Hauls 8 people no problem. Did have to change the servo motors onthe rear Ac recently but only cost me $100 and couple hours to exchange them out on Saturday.
Don't worry you got a good car there.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 03, 4.6 only has 40,000 miles on it and ive cleaned the IAC 2 times replaced 1 vacuum hose, thats it.
2 door switches stick so my dome light is always on, ive had to disable one of them but now the driver door is acting up but I havent run the dome lights in years.

Now you got me scared about the plugs breaking but ive only read that on the bigger engines and wonder if thats just thrown in. It will be forever until I reach 100,000 miles to change the plugs though. I guess if I have it that long I can have the dealer just do that so if it breaks its on them to fix.

cherokeexj32

Reaction score

I bought my 03 1 year ago and the truck now has 60k miles on it and I have not had any issues except for the tailgate paint issue. We love the truck and we do tow a camper and it does great.

SPLFTW

Reaction score
my 03 is running grate haven't had a problem yet and im at 137,000 (Ive only had it 7mounts so far)