Bad Day I 95

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jphelps44

Reaction score
I am on vacation in Miami Florida and we decide to take a trip down to key west to do a tour (jet ski, snorkle, etc.) So I am I95 South Bound and something comes off a truck like a big piece of metal and I cannot avoid hitting it. Had an 18wheeler on my left and a car on my right. I ran over about a 2 to 3 ft metal object. Cleared it and thought everything was okay. Drove about another 5 mins and started smelling gas!! So I stopped on look under my Expedtion EL Eddie and its leaking gas bad from the tank. Got it to the nearest ford dealership and waiting for a new tank to be replaced. The object put about an inch gash in the tank. Didnt make it to key west and my rental is a suburban which is making me miss the expy even more!! Be safe out there guys and glad someone didnt throw out a cig while I was driving who knows what could have happened.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad things worked out... My uncle had to hit a printer on the highway last year. Tore up the entire front of his explorer.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been in the printing biz my whole life, I have to ask......
What was a "printer" doing in the road?

Also spent about 20 years in Miami / Ft. Lauderdale. Your lucky you weren't involved in the daily road rage & gun battles.

Last edited:

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I've been in the printing biz my whole life, I have to ask......
What was a "printer" doing in the road?

Also spent about 20 years in Miami / Ft. Lauderdale. Your lucky you weren't involved in the daily road rage & gun battles.

I'm betting it was just sitting there unless it just fell off someones truck! :p

Somebody's unsecured load maybe?!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I am on vacation in Miami Florida and we decide to take a trip down to key west to do a tour (jet ski, snorkle, etc.) So I am I95 South Bound and something comes off a truck like a big piece of metal and I cannot avoid hitting it. Had an 18wheeler on my left and a car on my right. I ran over about a 2 to 3 ft metal object. Cleared it and thought everything was okay. Drove about another 5 mins and started smelling gas!! So I stopped on look under my Expedtion EL Eddie and its leaking gas bad from the tank. Got it to the nearest ford dealership and waiting for a new tank to be replaced. The object put about an inch gash in the tank. Didnt make it to key west and my rental is a suburban which is making me miss the expy even more!! Be safe out there guys and glad someone didnt throw out a cig while I was driving who knows what could have happened.

That sucks.. Sorry to hear but at least its an easy repair and did not do more damage or cause an accident!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
3rd gens come with skid plates on the fuel tank?

My first gen did not. Well...it does have plastic cover that I don't think would have helped much given the OP's situation.

Last edited: