Ball mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHRIS JAMES

Reaction score
I don't have a trailer, but I want to pick up a ball mount to have if needed for anything. What amount of drop will work well on a 2019 expedition to get the ball at the right height for the average trailer?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with a 6 inch drop solid aluminum receiver. Its close, but still a little hi

Plati

Reaction score
I don't have a trailer, but I want to pick up a ball mount to have if needed for anything. What amount of drop will work well on a 2019 expedition to get the ball at the right height for the average trailer?
I didn't know there is an average trailer? I guess mathematically there must be an average … but don't you need to know the specific trailer to determine a drop is needed? I've always had no drop for my small boat, big boat, and snowmobile trailer.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I have 3 trailers and they are all at different heights. So, I bought an adjustable ball mount and change it depending on which trailer I am pulling. Then to throw in even more variability, my tow vehicles all have different hitch heights too. Since getting the adjustable ball mount, I now have 4 fixed mounts in the garage collecting dust...

I would say if you don't have a trailer and know exactly what you will need I would get an adjustable hitch. I use the Maxxhaul and for the $30bucks on amazon it has been just fine for me. There are nicer models out there but I don't tow that often so for the occasional trip to the home improvement store this works great.

OP
OP
C

CHRIS JAMES

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I have 3 trailers and they are all at different heights. So, I bought an adjustable ball mount and change it depending on which trailer I am pulling. Then to throw in even more variability, my tow vehicles all have different hitch heights too. Since getting the adjustable ball mount, I now have 4 fixed mounts in the garage collecting dust...

I would say if you don't have a trailer and know exactly what you will need I would get an adjustable hitch. I use the Maxxhaul and for the $30bucks on amazon it has been just fine for me. There are nicer models out there but I don't tow that often so for the occasional trip to the home improvement store this works great.

Thanks for the feedback on the maxxhaul. I was considering that one.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd probably get a ball mount AFTER acquiring a trailer, as different trailers have different hitch heights. The trailer should remain horizontally level when attached to the vehicle.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How have we not covered ball size yet?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
That's the easy part. Big trailer, big ball. Generally anything with dual axle will take the 2 5/16" ball.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, I get that. But if you wanted to have a set up around the garage what would be the "average" size ball?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything under 5k-6K lbs will most likely be a 2" ball. I haven't used a 1 7/8" ball in 20 years, I haven't seen anything new with one in ages. You will only see 2 5/16" balls and big heavy trailers and in that case you will need a heavier duty setup.

I would have an adjustable 2" and you will probably never need anything else.