Battery drain-pulled fuse 6 under hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a battery drain that is killing my battery after sitting for awhile, about a week. I connected a test light to the battery and disconnected positive terminal. I pulled fuses until the light went out and showed I disabled the connection. The fuse was fuse #6 under the hood. I looked online and it shows the fuse is for radio, cd player and amp. The cd player had the magazine stuck. Shouldn't it quit after a couple tries to eject or does it run constantly to eject the magazine?

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1 wk ain't too bad, how old is the batt?

a new batt can also act up

did the prob go away with fuse #6 disconnected?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is the Expedition? I'm guessing 2002 or older if you've got the CD magazine in the console. If your magazine is stuck in the play setting, it would kill your battery overnight, or by the end of a full day. Basically pull the plug going to the changer, throw back in the fuse, and see if power drain stops. I looked in my 2000 owners book, #6 under hood fuse is for parklamps/autolamps. It also feeds passenger compartment fuse#18 which is power train control module, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and mass air flow sensor. It says nothing about CD changer. Sounds like one of the items I mentioned is acting up.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a 98 Eddie Bauer. Just bought it a couple weeks ago. The drain seems to be gone with the fuse out. I’ll unplug the CD player and see how it does. It’s in good shape and only has 127000 miles. I paid $900.00 for it. I’ve been just tinkering on it. It spent about half its life in Penn. so I’ve been cleaning the under carriage and undercoating it. Next is tires and then little stuff.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copper you are correct sir! 98 did use that fuse for radio/CD changer. I was looking in my 2000 book, sorry for wrong info there. Either the changer, or head unit is staying on. Do you have the Mach stereo option? The dealer calls it Audiophile. If yours is like my 2000, it used two separate amplifiers, one for front 4 door speakers, rear Subwoofer is another amp. Isolate which item is staying on. Do that same way by pulling each plug, and observing voltage drop.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess the fuses are all different depending on year. Fuse 6 for my 2000 shows Cluster, OTC, Compass, Suspension module, etc etc

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Z168 I took that info from a 2000 owners book. That's the fuse for the under hood box, you might be referring to the box on drivers side inside vehicle.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not only can the wiring be different year to year, they have "early production" and "late production" versions in the wiring diagrams for each year.