Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91dieselmatt

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 17 EL Limited. No issues other than the heated seat connector burned the pin that sounds like a common issue. But on Monday came out to a dead battery, looked like garbage and the positive terminal was nasty. Replaced the battery and was on my way. Wednesday I had to jump it again. No interior lights on that I could see. Friday morning completely dead but I noticed the rear audio control panel on the back of the center console stays lit and the clock. That is the only noticeable thing that is on. Would that have enough draw to drain the battery overnight? Nothing happens when I press the buttons when the ignition is off but they stay lit all night. Came out this morning and it didn't have enough power to unlock but the clock stayed on.
It's just the audio control system, no TV screens.
Thanks for any input.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a digital multimeter with amp measure ? The best way to find it is the amp draw test on each circuit. You might even be able to narrow it down by just taking the cover off the fusebox and running your fingers over the fuses to feel for heat. Something killing the battery overnight will be very warm to the touch. Any "custom" electronics installed on this Expy ? Aftermarket alarm system type stuff ?

OP
OP

91dieselmatt

Reaction score
I will try touching them and get a multimeter. Everything is factory to my knowledge.