Battery issues with quick disconnect screw/valve - 2003 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seanwho

Reaction score
Will get a picture up when I get to the car.

Bought car with 290k on it last year, guy said it was an ex canada parks vehicle and it has a quick disconnect on the positive terminal of the battery which stops it from dying out in remote places - he was sure it keeps a certain percent left in the battery, when it fails to start you unscrew the quick connect for 30 seconds, then reconnect and it starts up fine.

Did that every other week through the summer, then in winter (temps -10 to -20 usually) it eventually stopped and we had to jump the car until we eventually replaced the battery when winter ended.

Car is not dead, lights and power are still on just not enough in it to start the car it feels like. Has happened maybe 3 times in the past 3/4 months since replacing with seemingly no pattern or reason. Starts up fine after disconnect/reconnect.

Want to make sure don't end up in the same situation this winter, any info on where to look/photograph that may help at all?

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is just a disconnect(on/off switch). Some people use this when they store or don't drive for extended periods of time.
Unscrew it and everything should be dead. Tighten it and everything should have power. The fact that you have trouble starting sometime may be that the surfaces of the disconnect have dirt or oxidation and they don't mate perfectly. Try cleaning and be sure to completely tighten the knob when you use it. It doesn't keep a "reserve" in the battery.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible dumb question, I see two positive cables that look right where does the third black cable go?

Disconnect if it goes nowhere, possible ground out issue as well.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Possible dumb question, I see two positive cables that look right where does the third black cable go?

Disconnect if it goes nowhere, possible ground out issue as well.

That's a fused link wire that goes to the alternator. One red goes to the back of the fuse box, the other goes down to the starter. I would get a suitable marine terminal and get rid of the cheapo knobbed disconnect altogether.

Brass Marine Battery Terminals on Amazon

Last edited:

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a fused link wire that goes to the alternator. One red goes to the back of the fuse box, the other goes down to the starter. I would get a suitable marine terminal and get rid of the cheapo knobbed disconnect altogether.
Hamfisted, Do you know what type of fuse is in the connector between the + and the alternator? I want to keep a spare on me just in case. Thanks

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hamfisted, Do you know what type of fuse is in the connector between the + and the alternator? I want to keep a spare on me just in case.

It's built into the wire, not something like a Buss fuse that you just replace. It should never fail, and if it does you shouldn't drive the Expy anyway.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The wire is a "fuse link" it burns up, self destructs inside the insulated wire where it's safe and you can't usually see it when it does it's thing.