Battery or alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tepponogu

Reaction score
Accidentally killed the battery on my truck the other day letting the radio run too long. I got a jump start and it died again a mile later. Continued on this way all the way home. Took the battery to the parts store and had the trickle charge it over night. The guy said the clamps got real hot at one point. Truck drove fine the rest of the afternoon. Now this morning the battery light came on and the voltmeter is down. Did I just fry my battery, out did I kill the alternator too?

VexedEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Accidentally killed the battery on my truck the other day letting the radio run too long. I got a jump start and it died again a mile later. Continued on this way all the way home. Took the battery to the parts store and had the trickle charge it over night. The guy said the clamps got real hot at one point. Truck drove fine the rest of the afternoon. Now this morning the battery light came on and the voltmeter is down. Did I just fry my battery, out did I kill the alternator too?

I would replace the battery and go from there....

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Hopefully not your alternator, but If it was your alternator, you'd lose power as you drive. Everytime you step on the brakes, or turn your signal lights on, etc, your low battery light would light up. And your truck will slowly die...Hopefully just your battery. But....... if your losing volts as you drive.... sounds like alternator.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
whats weird is i didnt lose power when mine went out. it read a constant 12.1V on my volt meter. then it died over night. got it jumped by AAA and then still read 12.1. drove it just fine with out it going down got home. turn the truck off. and it wouldnt go back on. i charged the battery, but i knew it wasnt that since it was 2 months old. so i took the alternator in. the guy put it on the tester and an error came up. something he has never seen before. haha so he gave me a new one. lifetime warrenty! :smokin:

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
The truck is gradually dying as I drive it. Turn signals seemed to be the big killer that night. Thanks for the input guys.

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that the guy at the store said the battery passed the test too. Guess I'll pull the alternator and have it tested.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They shop be able to tell you if your alternator is bad without pulling it...

OP
OP
T

tepponogu

Reaction score
Thanks freeway! Glad I checked back in before starting to work on it.

Does the alternator have a clutch? Every now and then the voltmeter spikes up to normal. Maybe a good smack with a bfh.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you're not seeing 13.8 to 14.2 volts at the battery when the truck is running, then it's the alt.