battery terminals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Getting a voltage drop of .240 from the posi terminal. I've already cleaned them before but it's getting worse again. anyone care to point me to a good set of terminals I can use? I can't afford to cut fresh copper as some a$$hat has already cut it as short as it can go

GmKgeec.jpg
lFgUjP0.jpg

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your problem is the cable, really not the terminal. I'd hit the junk yards for "good" OEM cables and get rid of that junk. Any time you have copper exposed to the elements you will get corrosion - which will add to your problem.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you there. I plan on doing just that but in the mean time I have what I have. If I can get it until I can get the proper wire that'll do

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reading is showing it is slightly out of spec, something you can live with for a while but it should be fixed asap.
As the corrosion gets worse starting the truck will be harder on the starter / battery combination.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i fixed it! new readings are at .021 and .013 starting and idling the positive terminal was internally corroded where the wire connected,

I managed to get just another inch of wire out to get some crimp terminals on where I then crimped them and then soldered them using a propane torch to get enough heat to melt the solder this should permanently prevent any corrosion internal to the new connections and act as a great weather barrier. I will seal off the exposed copper when I get daylight and the proper stuff to do it.

the pictures aren't pretty since it was dark out but all is well for now.

GqqcItX.jpg
vqSuHge.jpg
7fSEtrY.jpg

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Treat the posts and terminals to guard against the vapors coming off the battery or you will have the same problem again.

I use the red and green felt from Wally World, coat the posts/terminals with used motor oil. Lightly of course.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what I was thinking about doing is using dielectric grease inside of a heat shrink tube and shrinking that over it up to the crimp. I'm not having any corrosion problems at the terminals, they have stayed rather clean, it's just the copper that isn't happy.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the battery is a sealed type so it vents sulfuric acid and water vapor during the charging cycle.
No need to use the grease. Heat shrink tubing will work, should have put that on before soldering the ring terminals on the cable.

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, with the wind steady at ~5-10 mph, I would've never got a lighter to stay lit and the torch was too much for that and I need it running more than I need that cable to be perfect right this minute. I will try to slip a tube over it but the smaller one will be a pita since it's ring is much wider then the wire. it's just one of those things where you gotta weigh the risks.

and yeah, I am pretty familiar with lead acid batteries and corrosion. it just doesn't seem like this battery is giving any fuss with it's gasses so as to cause corrosion from that. the corrosion I see here looks more like weathered corrosion than it does like battery acid vapor corrosion. but either way I do agree, I should get them properly covered. thatll end up waiting till after the rain stop after sunday.

I apreciate the help man!

OP
OP
I

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
something I didn't notice earlier, the truck starts with much more vigor now so I imagine that .2xx voltage drop had quite the effect when it was remedied

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik