Battery ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys or gals tell tell an old goat why battery cables would keep cruding up? Happened several times in last year or so. Expy. runs great till I notice slower cranking or clicking and no start situation.Use one of those old time battery cleaners with built in wire brush,clean them up,put those felt things from Napa under clamps,coat terminals with battery cleaner,Even new battery.Yesterday ,again no start again,clean cables then fine.Thats only complaint I have,other then that ,2000 mod.4.6 has 200.000 on it,still runs great.Garage where it gets serviced at yesterday says no problems show checking with whatever they check with these days.Last year I even had battery cables replaced on a whin,no difference.If I don't clean them every few weeks it wont start.Any ideas?,Paul

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the old style "wet cell" battery that requires filling occasionally it can be from overcharging. Is the top of the battery wet most of the time?

When I used the felt pads on the older batteries, I poured a little used oil on the clamps and posts to keep the corrosion down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have the old style "wet cell" battery that requires filling occasionally it can be from overcharging. Is the top of the battery wet most of the time?

When I used the felt pads on the older batteries, I poured a little used oil on the clamps and posts to keep the corrosion down.

Thanks for response .Havent had that type of battery in it for several years. I thought about battery overcharging and had it on machine they use to test for electric problems yesterday and it tested fine they say. Might be me but I have to clean posts probably 6 times a year.Thanks

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are using a maintenance free battery, those only vent when the internal pressure is excessive, which is caused by high charging rates or overcharging.

I would have the charging voltage and the alternator current (amp) output checked with a minimal electrical load at 2500 rpm. Typical charging voltage ranges between 13.5-14.5v. Amps should be low - around 10 once the battery is fully charged. It may take a few minutes for the current rate to drop to the lowest point once the engine is started.

If the readings are high, something is causing the alternator to put out more than necessary. Then it is time to start troubleshooting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aka rotten

Full Access Members
Reaction score
System was checked on machine yesterday,all charging system fine they said.Irecon I,ll just havta clean em up every couple months.Car has never been problem cept that.Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Numbers and facts work better than just being told it is good. Did they give you a printout of the test?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
switch batteries and see if it still happens...are u using anti-corrosion on the cables as well?