Bearing noise in a4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope. Brown Wire Mod accomplishes the same thing without having to replace the fuse.

I'm either RWD or 4wd. I've never been a fan of a4wd.

Okay. Yeah the brown wire mod works a bit differently I think. I believe you can still switch to 4x4 while a4wd is completely off, where I need to turn a4wd on before I can switch to 4x4.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only way it works different is you have to remove/replace the fuse to get your a4wd and all I need to do is flip a switch.

Or I can leave the switch off and have RWD and 4wd (no a4wd).

I started out by pulling my fuse to diagnose what was going on. Glad I did. Won't go back.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The switch I rigged up is in place of the fuse. Switch on is like putting the fuse back in. Switch off is like fuse removed. The switch is in the cabin and be turned on or off while driving.

With the switch off though, there is not only no a4wd, but the 4x4 high and low aren’t selectable.

Maybe I should repurpose the switch to turn the brown wire on/off and put the fuse back in place. I would like to know and repair the source of the noise though.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 05 has a similar issue, the carrier bearings in the front diff were bad. Just swap in a used diff. You can get a front diff for under $200. If that’s what is wrong with yours

Jon1999expo

Reaction score
My 99 does the same thing, I pulled the fuse and stopped all front-end noise. I was told the a4wd causes that binding and noise if all 4 of your tires are not a exact match in the wear pattern and cause a difference in rotational speed which in return triggers the a4wd to act up. Our 4x4 systems are very sensitive to tire wear variances. Using mismatch tires are the issue even if they are the same size.

OP
OP
rtbrjason

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did 4 new winterforce tires about 500 miles or so ago. It’s a fairly new noise. Since I had the a4wd off all summer, and rarely drive it in the summer, I don’t know exactly when it started unfortunately. I do know it wasn’t there last winter though.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just an educated guess on my end, but I would think your tires would have acted up sooner, if their was an issue due to tread. I just installed a set of ohtsu street tires on my 2000, and theirs nary a noise from my awd. Bearing noises are easy, or a pain in butt to figure out. Sometimes it's real obvious, and progresses with speed, others not so much. I repaired a broken shift shaft and spring on a 87 Harley big twin a few years back. I replaced the broken shifting parts, carefully spun each roller bearing, found no noise, or excessive play. But when I had it back together for the road test, you should have heard the rumble it made. That's why a safe bet is to replace any bearings when apart. If your Suv is getting up in mileage, it maybe starting to fail. Let us know once you get it narrowed down.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk