before I even get my product started...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
delete the cats if its legal there. and only to be aware of are the E3 plugs. these motors are very picky and like motorcraft plugs. but some people have the E3s and say its fine. lucky? idk. and you have a 99. first year for throwing plugs. i wouldnt do it. but if you want to by all means.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well little bits at a time, even in the cold the truck roars on. I just picked up a brand new under drive pulley kit and an air raid throttle body spacer off craigslist. both brand new for 100 bucks. Not bad right? it gets better, only 60$ to have it all installed.

I notice the new h.p. and torque immediately. as do I notice the "whine" from the spacer, however at a normal listening volume on the radio with the windows up it is barely loud enough to hear and if I turn up the volume about 1/3 of the way (stock mach system) I can't hear it at all unless I'm really on the gas.

thats all for now, I'm biding my time until I find that next great deal. then I'll hop all over it again. exhaust I hope.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes it has, I am a pretty aggressive driver and I spend about 100 miles a day on the highway, my mileage has risen a big fat .3 mpg however... I do NOT use cruise control, I am hauling close to 200 lbs of stuff (plus my 200 lbs), I run 87 Octane gas most of the time, and I have yet to do the "Gotts mod."

the idea of an under drive kit is to eliminate parasitic drag from the serpentine system by changing the size of the clutch fan pulley, the alternator pulley, and the crankshaft pulley. what this does is free up about 10-15 HP and a little less in torque while keeping all the factory charging and cooling characteristics.

so in a loose sense this is just pure bolt on horsepower, it's not really meant to have an effect on gas mileage. That being said:

IF you couple that with a set of electric fans and do away with the old crappy clutch fan, then you add up to another 10 HP/torque and get (now this is heresay and what I've read) up to 2.5 MPG in city use.
now let's be real that's a pretty bold claim when you think about it, but it also appears to be totally in the realm of possibility as I read more and more posts on this and other forums that all claim about the same numbers 1.5 - 2.5 MPG (as low as >1 and upwards of something llike 5 or 7, outrageous I know.)

Now I'm still pretty new to this forum, but I've looked it over a good bit, and as a growing enthusiast I can tell you that in the end none of those numbers and figures really matter, all that matters is how it feels in your own personal pants dyno.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes it has, I am a pretty aggressive driver and I spend about 100 miles a day on the highway, my mileage has risen a big fat .3 mpg however... I do NOT use cruise control, I am hauling close to 200 lbs of stuff (plus my 200 lbs), I run 87 Octane gas most of the time, and I have yet to do the "Gotts mod."

the idea of an under drive kit is to eliminate parasitic drag from the serpentine system by changing the size of the clutch fan pulley, the alternator pulley, and the crankshaft pulley. what this does is free up about 10-15 HP and a little less in torque while keeping all the factory charging and cooling characteristics.

so in a loose sense this is just pure bolt on horsepower, it's not really meant to have an effect on gas mileage. That being said:

IF you couple that with a set of electric fans and do away with the old crappy clutch fan, then you add up to another 10 HP/torque and get (now this is heresay and what I've read) up to 2.5 MPG in city use.
now let's be real that's a pretty bold claim when you think about it, but it also appears to be totally in the realm of possibility as I read more and more posts on this and other forums that all claim about the same numbers 1.5 - 2.5 MPG (as low as >1 and upwards of something llike 5 or 7, outrageous I know.)

Now I'm still pretty new to this forum, but I've looked it over a good bit, and as a growing enthusiast I can tell you that in the end none of those numbers and figures really matter, all that matters is how it feels in your own personal pants dyno.

OP
OP
D

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
more parts on the way, magnaflow cat back system, JBA headers, Superchips tuner, cold air intake, Mass air sensor, and the makings for the Gott's mod.

I can't wait to feel what thing feels like after all this stuff is installed.

so for upgrades my options are now pretty much limited to getting a true dual exhaust, electric fans, and 75mm throttle body.

what next? lift maybe?