Best aftermarket portable DVD system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion on what is a good portable DVD system to put in the Expedition?
I'm looking for a dual screen that has units that just hang on the headrests for the kids. We don't mess with more than DVD's at this point... Our old unit is starting to skip and such. I'm sure here is lots of junk on the market now, so I thought I might ask before buying one.

Thanks in advance.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/NAVISKAUTO-P...=B07JP74LJD&psc=1&refRID=R3BCSN7VNQV6B0SDVYHJ

They are NOT fancy, but I've had them for 18 months and used them on multiple roadtrips with great success. One monitor is the player, the other is a slave...but they do offer dual player sets for a little more coin. I got an FM transmitter, plug it into the headphone jack in the player, and then I just play the audio through my truck's system. they're not terribly attractive (cords running around, etc.) but they are only up for roadtrips and then come down when we get home.

Again, it is NOT fancy but it 100% get's the job done. And I am not suggesting you buy that specific product, I am just more trying to convey that some of this cheap crap from China will work just fine for a specific purpose.

And hey, even if I buy a newer, better, upgraded version of my cheap DVD players every year for the 10 years I plan to own the vehicle, I'll STILL have spent less than I would have on the RSE from the factory! Haha

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought an even cheaper set than what aggiegrad05 bought and they have worked fine for me. I spliced in extra cable on the power and video and run one in the middle seat and one in the rear seat. We only use them occasionally on longer trips and it is fine. I am glad that I didn't spend more money than I did. I got so sick of the built in video in our last suv I don't miss it in the expedition.

On a more personal level, we have been pushing the kids to listen to music or we put audio books on instead. I know I personally have preferred hearing music or Audio books much better than listening to Moana for the 20th time. Currently, we are listening to Harry Potter Audio books. It took the kids a bit to get used to but they seem to enjoy it more than movies now.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On a more personal level, we have been pushing the kids to listen to music or we put audio books on instead. I know I personally have preferred hearing music or Audio books much better than listening to Moana for the 20th time. Currently, we are listening to Harry Potter Audio books. It took the kids a bit to get used to but they seem to enjoy it more than movies now.
I agree with this. Mine are 2 and 5, so their attention span is a bit...limited. We do music, movies, tablets, napping, etc. Really anything to keep them from losing their minds in the back seat. (Mostly the 2yo, the 5yo has life in the car figured out pretty well by now.)

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We do 24 hr road trips from WI to FL and if we put the boys favorite DVD's in, we only hear from them when they are either hungry or need to pee! They are 4 and 6. Its a beautiful thing, no complaints at all.
We ONLY let them watch the DVD's in the car on this trip, not everyday driving, so its a treat for them!

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay here's where everyone will go off the rails with that's unsafe but is there a way to play a DVD on the sync screen. I'm thinking a small DVD player? I'd like my girlfriend to be able to watch movies and leave me alone.my german shephard doesn't want movies in the back seat.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay here's where everyone will go off the rails with that's unsafe but is there a way to play a DVD on the sync screen. I'm thinking a small DVD player? I'd like my girlfriend to be able to watch movies and leave me alone.my german shephard doesn't want movies in the back seat.

There was a software guy on here talking about that a few months ago. Don’t know what happened to the conversation. Maybe someone can link. I can’t remember which thread it was in.

Brad6294

Reaction score
I bought an even cheaper set than what aggiegrad05 bought and they have worked fine for me. I spliced in extra cable on the power and video and run one in the middle seat and one in the rear seat. We only use them occasionally on longer trips and it is fine. I am glad that I didn't spend more money than I did. I got so sick of the built in video in our last suv I don't miss it in the expedition.

I’m looking at a 2018 Max and I’m hearing the RSE is garbage from the factory. I’d like to run 3 screens if possible - 2 in 2nd row, main unit in 3rd row for my oldest to control. Think it’s possible to splice in more wire for a 3rd monitor/hide it under the floor to make it look better?