Blue thing on exhaust???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13mwz

Reaction score
We've had my wife's 03 Expedition for a little while now but I havent 'explored' it much. Today while changing the fuel filter I noticed a blue thing (looks like a small oil filter) mounted to the drivers side of the Y pipe. There's no wires going to it, it's not connected to anything but a mounting bracket attached to the exhaust pipe. What the heck is that?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the blue, hard rubber cylinder, I think it's a sound and/or resonance reducer. At least that's my best guess since I don't know for sure.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yup, that's what it is.

Starting in 2000 or so, Ford made a major push to reduce NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) in it's vehicles, especially their trucks and suv's. Those things started appearing throughout the next several model years. They introduced 'quiet steel' and they thickened the engine blocks and started using those harmonic dampers, among other things, all in the name of reduced NVH.

If you make any changes to the exhaust, you may as well cut the damper (that weight thing) off because it no longer does it's job. In fact, it could actually make NVH worse.

mikegigabyte

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you think its causing my horrible freeway droning noise, because I installed a flowmaster, or is it just the exhaust because I have no problem cutting it out if it solves the problem. But all my pipes are original, so thats why I need to know if just swapping a muffler out messes that thing up

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you think its causing my horrible freeway droning noise, because I installed a flowmaster, or is it just the exhaust because I have no problem cutting it out if it solves the problem. But all my pipes are original, so thats why I need to know if just swapping a muffler out messes that thing up

No, that noise is the wonderful blowmaster drone that will never go away, the reason I will never put another blowmaster on any of my other vehicles, including my 87 Mustang, it gets annoying to me.