Brake Controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
Upgrading the wiring on the Expy from 4-wire to 7-wire and I was wondering about the blue wire taped to the wiring. If I connect it for 7-wire use will I still have to get and install a separate brake controller?

OP
OP
R

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
Poop. So what good does the blue wire do? Save me a whole $1 from buying one on my own? Grrrrrr.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the whole plug and play harness should be factory in your truck saving you a good amount of cash

Ray Jr.

Reaction score
The blue wire should be back-up lights.
If you have surge brakes on the trailer the back-up light wire will stop the brakes from locking up when you back it up.

OP
OP
R

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
The blue wire should be back-up lights.
If you have surge brakes on the trailer the back-up light wire will stop the brakes from locking up when you back it up.

I'm not so sure about that.... Anyone else?

Ray Jr.

Reaction score
On the 5 wire flat plugs for use with surge brakes the 5th wire is blue and it goes to back up lights.
I assumed it was what the op was talking about since he said it was taped to the harness wiring. Sorry was posting while half asleep.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my 2006, the blue wire on the rear harness is for the reverse lights for surge brake lock-out when backing up too. There is an electric servo that prevents the hydraulic lines from pressurizing the brake line. Under the dash, the blue wire will still be needed for the brake controller (which is always necessary if you have electric brakes on your trailer).

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
Well... good info... I'm not gonna sweat it, just bought a Coleman travel trailer from Camping World and they are providing and installing the brake controller, weight distribution system and anti-sway bars for free.