Brake Line Blocking Caliper Bolt (Front Passenger)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrXLT

Reaction score
While I'm in the bending the line camp, I also think it's important to let that old fluid that's been sitting in your caliper bleed. When you clamp it back (I use a C clamp) to put new pads on, you're pushing all the very worst fluid in the system back up into the system.

If you're not into keeping up on flushing your brake fluid, etc then I suppose it isn't a big deal. I'm coming from the perspective that when I get a vehicle I plan on keeping it in top shape and in service as long as possible and you know what they say about an ounce of prevention.

And no, you don't need those overpriced Snap On tools. I suppose some of them work wonders for full time mechanics but for those of us doing this stuff in our driveways and on budgets regular tools are fine.

I changed many things with a $20 tool kit I bought from WalMart 20 yrs ago (probably equals $40 today) and I'm still using them. Of course you buy the extra tool when you need it but they're making the "cheap" ones so good now you don't need overpriced glorified stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
I appreciate the input about cleaning the fluid out, I was trying to justify replacing the calipers as one of them has a boot that store and there's this really cool red ones that are not that expensive on Amazon comma Plus for me learning how to do all these repairs and changes is fun and since I am on the road so much it gives me confidence that if something breaks while I'm out and about I can fix it. So, maybe I'll buy some calipers drain the entire brake fluid at some point in the future. Plus I agree I would never spend as much as they want for those fancy tools I'll be happy with a simple impact wrench so I can continue with my next project which is getting the bolt out of the front differential breaker bar didn't work. I drove about 500 miles yesterday and the brakes are working very well, thank you for all the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always used a set of 440 Channel-locks and they get a good bite then remove! I had another truck that I used to use them on one of the bolts due to poor placement...was a PITA to use the tork bit on.

jeff

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
I've always used a set of 440 Channel-locks and they get a good bite then remove! I had another truck that I used to use them on one of the bolts due to poor placement...was a PITA to use the tork bit on.

jeff
You mean you used them to grip the torx bit, right?

OP
OP
I

iridius

Reaction score
i meant on the circular head of the torx bolt,

as mentioned tho, chews it uo
Cool. Can I just replace it with a normal bolt like the rear has? Why use torx in front instead anyway?

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they sell hex head bolt kits on ebay,

good bet way cheaper from a dedicated fasteners/nuts & bolts outfit but dunno what would be required spec wise for caliper use, tho doubt much

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I had the same problem on passenger, rear caliper brake line. The rotor was stuck and I could not remove it. I had taken the truck, in for its, NY state inspection. The inspector, must of stood on the emergency brake pedal. That resulted in a sticking brakes. The emergency brake lever, was actually hitting the brake line, rubber covering. I carefully tweaked it, to clear it and manually pry the brakes off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2