Buying a 97 Expedition today. What do you think?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snozberries

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking I'm going to purchase this Expedition this evening:

1997 Ford Expedition 4x4 Low Miles 4W

I test drove it this morning and everything checked out. The only thing is that the owner said his mechanic told him he should replace the CV axle soon. It makes some noise at low mph while turning from the front left wheel so I guess this makes sense. What do you think? We agreed to 2100 pending a closer look this evening. I'm brand new to expeditions, and car maintenance in general. Any advice or concerns would be appreciated.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Thanks, just read through that and it was helpful. Let's say it has rust on the rear trailing arms and needs a new cv joint/axle. Is 2100 a decent price? It's a california car so I'm hoping rust isn't two big of an issue but I'll get under the truck and look around when I go back out there.

Thanks again,

Snoz

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bwahahahaha 20mpg my a$$!!!!!!
Besides that, looks like a decent rig. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Just one question to ask the owner, how many miles ago were the plugs changed?

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Bwahahahaha 20mpg my a$$!!!!!!
Besides that, looks like a decent rig. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Just one question to ask the owner, how many miles ago were the plugs changed?

Haha yes I was chuckling at that as well. He really made that one of his selling points.

I really appreciate the help guys. Let's say he says "I've never changed them" (he's the second owner). Is that a big deal?

I'll just change them right away. Or could there have been some damage done because he's been using really old plugs?

I think at this point I'm going to pick the thing up. The other craigslist expeditions I've looked at have been in pretty rough shape. Really like these trucks though, I had no idea they we're as well built as they are. I was looking at 4runners and then stumbled across these. Glad I did!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See what the value is on NADA or Kelly Blue Book and go from there.

Check underneath for fluid leaks or fresh cleanup. Valve cover gaskets are notorious leakers.

OP
OP
S

snozberries

Reaction score
Bought it,

Thanks guys. Seems pretty rust free. There's a questionable noise when I first engage the gas pedal while at freeway speeds. It's very quiet sputter/rattle if that makes any sense. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a 17 y/o car makes a noise!

Also, the gear selector needle on the dashboard seems to be one gear off. So when I'm really in Drive it looks like I'm in neutral. I'm hoping thats just a minor issue, transmission seems fine otherwise.

On the way home I got pulled over for the crack in the windshield. I don't believe for a second that he saw it before he pulled me over but I guess he made up my mind on whether or not to fix it!

Going to do a bunch of routine maintenance stuff this week (plugs, oil, air filters, maybe atf change) and try to find a private mechanic that isn't a con artist like a few of the guys I've worked with lately who can diagnoses and fix the possible CV axle issue. If anyone knows someone in the orange county area I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, thanks guys! I'll be back for help I'm sure, and hopefully I'll learn enough to help some others out someday.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought it,

Thanks guys. Seems pretty rust free. There's a questionable noise when I first engage the gas pedal while at freeway speeds. It's very quiet sputter/rattle if that makes any sense. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a 17 y/o car makes a noise!

Also, the gear selector needle on the dashboard seems to be one gear off. So when I'm really in Drive it looks like I'm in neutral. I'm hoping thats just a minor issue, transmission seems fine otherwise.

On the way home I got pulled over for the crack in the windshield. I don't believe for a second that he saw it before he pulled me over but I guess he made up my mind on whether or not to fix it!

Going to do a bunch of routine maintenance stuff this week (plugs, oil, air filters, maybe atf change) and try to find a private mechanic that isn't a con artist like a few of the guys I've worked with lately who can diagnoses and fix the possible CV axle issue. If anyone knows someone in the orange county area I'd really appreciate it.

Anyway, thanks guys! I'll be back for help I'm sure, and hopefully I'll learn enough to help some others out someday.

My truck rattles too, sounds like a piece of tin rattling!?! I think there is an adjustment under the dash for the gear selector. Check Youtube to see if there is anything out there on how to fix it.

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase!, I too only recently (this year) bought my first expedition, also a 97 but its the 4.6 motor. Getting the windshield replaced may be a blessing in disguise. The early expeditions are notorious for leaking at the top drivers corner which can cause the truck to act pretty funky on rainy days (electrical issues due to water getting into the gem module under the dash near the fuse box). I'd recommend checking the brakes all around, mine were a mess and took a lot of effort to stop the big heavy truck.

Also if your truck uses those 2 piece spark plugs a shop will charge you a bunch of money to change them, and I would expect for the possibility of a couple to break in the process which will cost more to repair. There are ways to help try and prevent them from breaking which you can find on this site as I dont remember the exact proscess but it is (I THINK) by using a carbon cleaner in the engine prior to the change to try and clean up the plugs. Don't hold me to that but I am pretty sure thats what it was.

Anyway welcome to the site, I have found that most of the people here are very knowledgeable and most are willing to help out with any questions you may have. Good luck with the truck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoot701