camshaft sensors problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdavid13

Reaction score
This truck is a money pit. 5.4 with 132k. First new plugs and coils, still not running right. It would shutter around 40-45 then smooth out.felt a slight misfire at ideal but no codes. Now camshaft sensor codes. Replaced both and no change, light keeps coming on and sometimes barely running. Load exhaust leak and metal slapping sound on start up. So I'm guessing exhaust manifold
Now what? new cam, timing chain. How big of a job is it to replace the timing chain and water pump? Do I attempt or just take it in somewhere?
thanks

OP
OP
T

tdavid13

Reaction score
The first codes were po022 camshaft position A timing over retarded B2 and po345 camshaft sensor A circuit malfunction B2.
and po300 random misfire

I changed both sensors and no changes, light came back on the next day with same codes still running rough at times

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sensor has to work in order for the pcm to determine that the cam timing is off. So replacing the sensor was a waste of time & money.
If the sensor was malfunctioning it would result in an error/code that would indicate implausible data or no data received.

For the timing to be retarded the cam phaser may be stuck, have low oil pressure on that bank or timing chain issues. It will take further diagnosis to determine which one is the cause. It will also depend on your experience level and tools available whether to work on it yourself or take it to a shop. If you lack the diagnostic tools the only option for a diy is to take things apart and inspect after measuring the oil pressure with a gauge.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0345

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0022

For the random misfire it is faster to smoke test the intake system then toss parts at it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdavid13

Reaction score
internet says a possible vct solenoid might be to blame. thoughts? oil pressure gauge reads normal on the dash

Msport

Reaction score
I had a similar problem hesitation/shutter/bucking between 40 - 45 mph with my 03 Expy XLT 5.4l w/192k, and it was not happening all the time. First, I looked for a vacuum leak and fixed 2 areas where there was a leak, but it continued with no codes. Then I came across this thread: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...ph-under-very-light-acceleration.24884/page-4
So far so good, after approx. 100 miles, for me the transmission fluid changed fixed the bucking at around 45 mph. Good luck...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dash gauges are junk. You need to use a good mechanical gauge to get an actual pressure reading.
If you had an oscilloscope you could check the waveform to see if there are timing changes between having the solenoid plugged in vs unplugged. Then you would know if it is actuating or not.

OP
OP
T

tdavid13

Reaction score
Update
I replaced both vct solenoids. Very stressful, I didn't want to drop anything down and make me rip the motor apart. I test drove it and it seemed to smooth out, and got quiet. Now I noticed an exhaust leak from somewhere, my luck probably the exhaust manifold. I haven't driven it long enough to see if it still shutters or not but a trans fluid change would be next.
Thanks