Can a 2002 Expedition 4X4 handle a snow blade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Killer Ride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is expressly said to not use the Expedition for plowing in the manual

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've seen them used for plowing often. Same mechanicals as an F-150. Just have to mount the plow without damaging anything. Plowing does stress any vehicle, but it's anyone's guess what a specific result would be on an older truck.

Petesexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What snow plowing stresses is transmission and drivetrain. If you have 4.6L with the original tranny, I would not advise it. These got "standard" transmission which is too delicate for the mass of the car, never mind stresses of plowing. I had mine rebuilt with the heavy duty components used in the 5.8L trannies and was trouble-free for the past 6 years.

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
I'm with Pete on this one. If the trans has been rebuilt in the past five years or so it should have been built with upgraded components and should be okay (emphasis on SHOULD!!). If it's stock and never been rebuilt it probably won't last long with anything other than light snow. 3-4" you're probably okay, but once it starts piling up and melting/freezing, you're probably going to need a transmission.

doodlebugs-93

Reaction score
I agree with everybody I too wouldn't advise putting a snowplow on your expedition it's definitely hard not only on the engine but the transmission as well, and you also have to take in that the excess amount on the front will wear out the suspension as well, i have a friend had a 97 expedition and he put a snowplow on his and the first time he used it the transmission gave out on him.