Can I seal Gem module ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

don b

Reaction score
Bought a 99 4wd Expedition with the triton engine in seemingly pretty good shape for $1,000 a couple of weeks ago. Had a really hard rain a couple of days ago and I actually got really lucky - I drove it to the store and back, went to move it shortly after returning from the store and had no to little electric. I thought it was the anti-theft system and some research taught me about the problem with the GEM module. I went out to pull it today to see if I could dry it out but it apparently wasn't too wet as it dried out on it's on and everything is working as it should.
I know I need to most likely fix the windshield or a small chance I read where it could be the weather seal on the door, but I was wondering if I couldn't add some extra insurance and pull the GEM module and seal it, basically using a sealant like Permatex, Goop etc and simply apply a thin layer over the entire module.
The only issue I could think of that might be a problem would be heat, trapping any heat produced inside the module, but I can't really think of a reason why it should be producing heat to begin with and if it did, I'd think it would be minimal at most. Obviously the cause of the leak needs to be addressed even though it must be a minute leak as I didn't really notice moisture anywhere, but I'm thinking why not go ahead and seal it just for the extra insurance. I'm moving to Mexico in the near future and will be living on the coast so there will be some high humidity and I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere and have this problem.
Thank for any info

OP
OP
D

don b

Reaction score
thanks, I'll leave one but maybe build a "wall" around it so water will go around it. My problem is getting the bolts out holding in the plugs. My spine grew together, am totally fused so have a hard time lying on the floor of the truck. I gave up last night, will hit it again here shortly

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you seal the GEM then drill a hole for a vent, it isn't sealed anymore.
Seal the windshield and ride off into the sunset without any riggin'

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with stamp11127 Fix the windshield and forget putting a Band-Aid on the gem

Ever if you would SEAL the GEM you would not stop the water from getting into the fuse box or on the many connectors.

So many times I feel the GEM gets the blame for the water that gets on the connectors and in the fuse box.

Although the GEM is a separate unit as is the fuse box But once they are connected they become as one unit

OP
OP
D

don b

Reaction score
I plan on having the windshield sealed as I mentioned in my post but I'm pretty sure I've read posts where people have sealed the windshield and still had a problem with moisture. I am moving to Mexico and will be doing a lot of traveling, as I mentioned, I was just thinking of it as insurance as I'd hate to be in say Lake Atitlan in guatemala , maybe off road some where and end up being stuck because my GEM module got wet even tho I had the windshield re-sealed.
As for leaving a vent hole, yes, water could still get into it at that point but placed in the least likely position for water to enter it with a dam of silicone surrounding the hole would be less likely for water to enter than the entire module being exposed - I'd think any way. I'd guess there's a 99 plus % chance the windshield re-seal would fix the problem but as mentioned, when googling the problem, I've read more than one post where people were still having a problem so I was just thinking why not go the extra mile just for insurance unless the GEM module created heat and sealing it would overheat it. From looking at pics of one tho, I could be wrong and often am, but it doesn't look like a part that generates any heat, more just an electronic switch.
I'd just really rather be safe then stranded.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
one thing I can say for certain is THAT you will do what you want to do But if it were me I would listen to advice from members that have helped other members with the same problem that you are having

If you take the GEM apart you will notice that the circuit board is sealed Again it's all the connection points and water getting into the fuse box

So do what you want I am out of here
IT'S SNICKERS TIME

OP
OP
D

don b

Reaction score
ok, I guess I won't but I actually was , or am, doing exactly what everyone has said to do - I was just also going to seal the module since I had read posts where some had said they had re-sealed their windshield and the GEM still got wet. I know I'm new here but everyone seemed to skip over the part where I am getting the windshield re-sealed and make it sound as if I'm ignoring everyone's advice - from the start I always said "extra insurance", whether it's shorting out the GEM/fuse box or not, I'd rather water not be running under the dash and on the floor.
I do apologize but it just seems like everyone skipped that part and talked as if I were only sealing the GEM box

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having my windshield replaced, and properly sealed by a reputable glass shop cured all my GEM/fusebox woes. Dry as a bone in there.