Can i tow this? 98 expy 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arza

Reaction score
i ahve a 1998 Expy that i inherited from my folks. Its a 5.4L 4x4 V8 with 195k miles on it (basically a grocery getter).

Im pondering whether or not its a good idea to try to tow my boat (24.5 ft 6200lbs all up) across the state for memorial day from Seattle to Spokane which is 250miles each way (with one gradual grade hill as i am going across the cascade mountains).

You think i will be good to attempt this or is the truck too old??? really value your input and experiance here.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hook up the boat and take it for a quick tow and see how it handles and if everything is still ok, go for it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WSS1

Reaction score
Run synthetic in the diff if you are not already. Go slow and enjoy the drive!

WSS1

Tuner710

Reaction score
Agree with all of the above.
I tow 4000 lb with a 1998 with 170,000 miles on the rig. The most important thing about towing your boat will likely be stopping ability. Check and make sure trailer brakes are working and in excellent condition.
My neighbor once told me a story about losing his trailer brakes while towing his boat, almost shoved his truck into the water at the Point Defiance ferry dock.
Anyway, if your engine is strong and the brakes are good, taking it easy driving should get you there ok.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
trailer brakes are a must. my dad once towed a 3-4k trailer with no trailer brakes, threw the mountains. on the way back from the desert there was a big down hill. did it, but the brakes were glowing red when we got back to my uncles house. haha we had to let them cool down for a few hours before we could go home.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above.
I tow 4000 lb with a 1998 with 170,000 miles on the rig. The most important thing about towing your boat will likely be stopping ability. Check and make sure trailer brakes are working and in excellent condition.
My neighbor once told me a story about losing his trailer brakes while towing his boat, almost shoved his truck into the water at the Point Defiance ferry dock.
Anyway, if your engine is strong and the brakes are good, taking it easy driving should get you there ok.

I was sitten in the ferry line and saw that happen too someone at point defiance. I remember it was in the morning and there was a seal sitting on the dock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1