That drivetrain shudder you feel? Yeah, it might be something else.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having had the transmission main valve body replaced, and IWE actuators replaced, I am probably paranoid about drivetrain issues. (Prior to the valve body replacement my tranny was attempting to downshift to FIRST gear when I punched it on the interstate!) Recent threads about problems with rear differentials and front differentials prompted me to get my 2018 into the dealer (no appointment) to investigate a shudder that I have been noticing more and more.

MY symptoms: a shudder when applying LIGHT accelerator pedal—400 horses will mask this if you just mash the accelerator like a Neanderthal. This occurred in any gear, at any speed, and was more prevalent when going up grades (long hills, or driving into the mountains).
The kicker is, it wasn’t always there (of course), and seemed slightly more noticeable in 4A vs 2WD. Definitely more noticeable in 4A/Sport mode.
After recently towing, it was obvious the problem was becoming worse, and towing a load made it so obvious even the “tech” at the dealership couldn’t deny it.

So I hooked up a 14 foot enclosed cargo trailer and headed to the dealership to see David—the transmission guru. He was familiar with my Expy already, having diagnosed and repaired the valve body issue and IWE’s.
With me just driving up (no appointment), David came out to greet me,..listened to my concerns—and laughed when I told him I had a trailer hooked up ready to go in the parking lot.

Amazingly, he just chuckled and said let’s go take her for a spin. (Small town dealership)
Down the interstate, and back up through local roads, David put her through the paces (immediately aware of the shudder), thoughtfully listening to all the sounds with the windows down. Then he looks at me and says “I think I know what your problem is, but I can’t tell you because you probably will think I’m crazy, so we’ll just go back and I’ll see if I can prove it to you.

As we approached the dealership, he starts to talk about how, years back, he used to get all kinds of trucks in with “transmission problem” symptoms with the old 5.4 Tritons, and nearly all of them turned out to not be a mechanical drivetrain issue at all….
…as soon as he said that my jaw dropped, and I knew. He paused, and I blurted out an expletive or two followed by the words “@#$ing coil-on-plug!”

Yep. He got a good belly laugh out of hearing about my exploits with phantom misfires in my old F150, and eventually of course, me finding out about the well-documented issue with the coil-on-plugs (COP) in the 5.4 Tritons. I replaced four over the lifetime of my F150. So you’d think I would recognize a misfire, right?

Sure enough, he brought his laptop out and hunted around in MODE6 for pending codes and found cylinder #1 misfire. Fords are notorious for not locking in a CEL for misfires unless it gets so bad it’s a complete failure to fire. I felt pretty foolish, but also relieved I didn’t have a more difficult problem.

So, at his recommendation, I started with just the plugs. I bought 6 Motorcraft plugs from the Parts counter went home, and replaced them the next morning. I carefully inspected the COPs, the boots, and the old plugs as I removed them. None of the plugs looked bad, but #1 plug gapped at .033”, while the others all gapped .029-.030. The electrical connector at the top of the COP showed some light carbon buildup in only the #1 location also.
i cleaned everything up, and reassembled, while swapping the #1 and #2 COPs. Figuring if I continue to experience symptoms, I can scan to see if the misfire moved to #2 cylinder — and I’ll know it is a bad coil.

That’s been 2 days ago, and it runs as smooth as butter—no stumble, no shudder. I’m keeping my fingers crossed but it appears David was spot on.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace the boots and springs along with any new plugs. They get carbon tracks and will arc over with the slightest humidity. I probably need new plugs on my 2001 with 45K on the second set. I have been "fixing" mode 6 misfires with new boots.

I have a ScanGuage with mode 6 codes for all cylinders plus the LM1 monitor. If the LM1 spits out a number then you can be sure a plug has just misfired. Usually it is small like 81 count. But you will notice a stumble about half the time, but usually not.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
80,000 miles. Plug replacement at 100,000 per factory recommendation.

Sounds about right. Often a lot of very short trips and moving vehicles by just starting them up quick and shutting them down are hard on the plugs.

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would replace the boots and springs along with any new plugs. They get carbon tracks and will arc over with the slightest humidity. I probably need new plugs on my 2001 with 45K on the second set. I have been "fixing" mode 6 misfires with new boots.

I have a ScanGuage with mode 6 codes for all cylinders plus the LM1 monitor. If the LM1 spits out a number then you can be sure a plug has just misfired. Usually it is small like 81 count. But you will notice a stumble about half the time, but usually not.

Being a 2018, the boots were still as new looking and feeling. I did apply a thin layer of silicone dielectric grease on the inside of the boots.
No evidence of carbon tracking on the plugs at all.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
80,000 miles. Plug replacement at 100,000 per factory recommendation.
My 2001 had plugs with wide, 0.80 gaps at around 38K. The 100K expectation is a fiction.

Once the misfires start, the boots get zapped. Don't count on seeing tiny tracks. Replace the plugs, replace the boots or you will have humidity iinduced misfires.

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2001 had plugs with wide, 0.80 gaps at around 38K. The 100K expectation is a fiction.

Once the misfires start, the boots get zapped. Don't count on seeing tiny tracks. Replace the plugs, replace the boots or you will have humidity iinduced misfires.

That’s a good thought. I will pay close attention the next time I drive in the rain.. and go ahead and order some boots to be safe.

5x10

Reaction score
My 2016 had that shudder before I traded it in
You described it to tee
I did have the plugs done, as it would go into low power mode
I want to say the boots were replaced as well but I am not certain
That was around 60-70k miles, I traded it just under 100k