That drivetrain shudder you feel? Yeah, it might be something else.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I worked at Ford for 23 years and never would have imagined that they could be so wrong on some of their service intervals; but, experience with my personal fleet has taught me the following to avoid issues like this:

Spark plugs in Compressed motors (supercharged or turbocharged) get replaced along with boots and springs at 45-50K. Naturally aspirated at 60K.

LV and ULV transfluid gets rotated by dropping the 4-6 quarts you can get out of the pan every 30K so that it has been substantially replaced by 90K. Otherwise full change at 80K.

Full synthetic motor oil and filter at 5K or 6 months....the filters are simply too small to go as long as the computer says even if the viscosity will hold up (which is unlikely with the turbos).

Never keep anti-freeze in for more than 5-6 years regardless of mileage.

Lots of Ford manuals say plugs will go 100K....Not the way my family drives. Some manuals say the transfluid will go 150K. Don't try it. The fluid will break down long before that resulting in a loss of shear strength leading to slipping clutches and other issues....

Just saying....

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I worked at Ford for 23 years and never would have imagined that they could be so wrong on some of their service intervals; but, experience with my personal fleet has taught me the following to avoid issues like this:

Spark plugs in Compressed motors (supercharged or turbocharged) get replaced along with boots and springs at 45-50K. Naturally aspirated at 60K.

LV and ULV transfluid gets rotated by dropping the 4-6 quarts you can get out of the pan every 30K so that it has been substantially replaced by 90K. Otherwise full change at 80K.

Full synthetic motor oil and filter at 5K or 6 months....the filters are simply too small to go as long as the computer says even if the viscosity will hold up (which is unlikely with the turbos).

Never keep anti-freeze in for more than 5-6 years regardless of mileage.

Lots of Ford manuals say plugs will go 100K....Not the way my family drives. Some manuals say the transfluid will go 150K. Don't try it. The fluid will break down long before that resulting in a loss of shear strength leading to slipping clutches and other issues....

Just saying....

I agree!

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect a lot of the high-mileage requirements (sic) are to not scare off those leases or those who buy vehicles for 2-3 years then trade. If you have, say, a 36k replacement on a maintenance part you are eating into that 3 year buyer, who doesn’t want that expense at the end, or suffer a potential hit in trade in value because they didn’t do it, along with the fact that things fail earlier than expected.

much like a laughable ‘lifetime warranty’ on pretty much anything.

Schini

Reaction score
I came across this post and wanted to share a similar experience. I had a drivetrain shudder that was driving me insane. My vehicle is a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum (22"/CCD) that I bought used in Feb 2021 with around 42k miles on it. A couple months after purchase the ride was just horrible... and everyone at ford said it was normal. Multiple tech rides, etc. I was scratching my head between CCD issues, tire issues, transmission, turbo... you name it. I ended up changing my plugs (ensuring the gap was correct even though they were pre-gapped) after reading this post and sure enough that did it. I am at 50,000 miles and surprised the plugs went bad so fast but they are an easy change and this made a world of difference! Thank you!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I came across this post and wanted to share a similar experience. I had a drivetrain shudder that was driving me insane. My vehicle is a 2018 Expedition Max Platinum (22"/CCD) that I bought used in Feb 2021 with around 42k miles on it. A couple months after purchase the ride was just horrible... and everyone at ford said it was normal. Multiple tech rides, etc. I was scratching my head between CCD issues, tire issues, transmission, turbo... you name it. I ended up changing my plugs (ensuring the gap was correct even though they were pre-gapped) after reading this post and sure enough that did it. I am at 50,000 miles and surprised the plugs went bad so fast but they are an easy change and this made a world of difference! Thank you!
Did you use Motorcraft plugs for the replacements?

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i too am starting to get a “slight”
intermittent hiccup - (different from the trans hiccup between 3&4 while cold with gentle throttle slight incline as it seems to struggle to find 4th)

now wondering if i need to get the plugs done. 43k sounds like it might be that - i know i should do the boots too at the same time -

+1 on the motorcraft plugs question /
do we think the plugs are not up to ***** & we should throw different (better) ones in there, or would it not matter? with all the shortcuts i wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of them - i don’t believe the plugs are covered on any of the extended warranties if i am not mistaken?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
every time I stop, mine shudders and almost dies, I'm sure the spark plugs are gone. Its got 27,000 miles on, but lots of short trips.

FlyBry

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5 Star Tuning sent me 6 of the Ford Motorsports CYFE-092-YPT3, 1 heat range colder, same plug in the 2019-20 Ford GT

OP
OP
NukeLife

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Very happy to hear my story was able to help someone! And it amazes me that your tech rides never noticed the misfire.
FWIW, I still am running smooth with new Motorcraft plugs. I did not replace the boots or any COPs, yet. But I probably will just as a preventative measure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65