Can you guys help me out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tuffy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would really like to get some things done for my expedition, but I really don't have an idea on where to start. If you guys could show me some websites and point me in the right direction, give me some prices and maybe even help me pick some things out I would really appreciate it.

I really need to redo the stereo in the car. The original unit barely works anymore. I have blown almost all of the speakers too so I really need to replace that, and I would like to get 2, 12' subwoofers but I have no clue what to look for on that or for the amp. I saw this head unit and was wondering if you guys knew anything about it. I couldn't find any reviews or anything on it. But I have found several things on how to put a head unit in and that doesn't seem too difficult.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25521_Boss_Audio_BV9150.aspx

I found that for $160 on another site, but I need to know if its any good before I buy it. Also, if I remove the stock stereo, will this new head unit still power everything? I have the Mach system if that helps.

I would like to change the lights, and I would also like to put in a different grille. How hard is it to change these things? What types of lights are legal/illegal? What should I look for on these?

Rims, what do you look for on these? As well as tires? Not sure where to look on these things. If I can get some help with this I would really appreciate it.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lets start with lights. those are easy. just about every light they sell has to be street legal. you can find a nice set of lightning headlights and corners on ebay. lots of different stuff on ebay. just simply pull the old ones out, put the new ones in and adjust.

the grille is pretty simple too. just pull the grille surround off and take the old one out and replace.

rims, all depends on what you are going for. offroad-wise, i would go with a 16x10 rim, or close to it. if you are a street queen, i would go with some 22's or 24's. all depends on your style.

for stereo, LOTS of options. if you want some subs that are hidden a little, look in the stereo threads and i posted in there where you can find a box for under your 2nd row of seats (just wont be able to fold them down). other members will chime in on what they have running right now and give you an idea of where to shop and what to get.

just give us a direction you are looking to go with your rig (lifted, lowered, stock) and we can narrow all of this down for you.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I'll agree with what was posted but for more help we need to know what kind of look you are going for... ebay has great deals on alot of stuff such as lights.... rims depends on if you want 16s or bigger .... but if you want good stereo stuff and get full detailed directions for installing yourself I would look into crutchfield....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lFbbUib1RmC/

they give directions on how to take out old stuff all the way to installing your new stuff very detailed and customer service has always been good to me

OP
OP
T

Tuffy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate all of the help you have given me so far. I am working off of a college kid budget, so I don't think I have the money to get it lifted, so I think I am going to have stock.

I don't really have a problem taking the 3rd seat out to put a sub box back there.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the only thing you have to worry about when it comes to crutchfield is a lot of their double din stereos wont show compatible with our trucks. but with a little modification, they do fit. they do have good customer service but they will tell you that most of their stuff doesnt fit if you are going double din. just a thought. as for college kid budget, there are some cheap ways of getting a little bit of lift from your truck.

OP
OP
T

Tuffy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I found a tutorial on how to turnn it inti double din. So I've got that taken care of

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I appreciate all of the help you have given me so far. I am working off of a college kid budget, so I don't think I have the money to get it lifted, so I think I am going to have stock.

college and family budget here too... i feel your pain but the new 9/11 GI bill helps a lot...lol

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i hear ya on that 9/11 GI bill....BAH pays 2k out here in san diego. i got 18months left and then im out. probably gonna go reserves.