Catalytic converter warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a separate warranty for emissions? I took my Expy in for lack of power and tapping sound. Turns out the lack of power is because both cats are falling apart. The truck has 82k on it. I was quoted $4500 for both cats and told my warranty might not cover it. Isn't there a separate warranty for cats? Or am I just being hopeful?

OP
OP
01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Never mind. I found it. It's 8 years or 80K miles. I didn't look beyond that because of the mileage on mine.

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would think any muffler shop could replace the cats for a fraction of the cost!
Check around before having the stealership do the work. I would be surprised if aftermarket cats cost more than $300 each. Besides, would give you a good reason to do an exhaust at the same time. :)

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check rock auto for cats; pay a muffler shop $100 for an hour tops. If rock auto doesnt have i bet amazon would. Dont pay more than about $175-225 for each cat

Last edited:

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Around $249 for the left and $350+ for the right at rock auto, depends on the brand itself. hope it helps.

ezeq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
pretty much the same price at partstrain.com

OP
OP
01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in California. Most shops won't touch them. And places won't ship cats here. I have to get creative with that.

OP
OP
01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ended up ordering the Magnaflow direct fit from Summit. I'm having them shipped to my grandparents in Az. It works out since they're visiting for Thanksgiving.

E36Graduate

Reaction score
If your truck is < 8 years old then I would fight to have them fixed under warranty. Especially at 2k miles over a 80k mile warranty? Those cats weren't breaking overnight at 82k !!!!! That is just down right rudeness!

OP
OP
01yellerCobra

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your truck is < 8 years old then I would fight to have them fixed under warranty. Especially at 2k miles over a 80k mile warranty? Those cats weren't breaking overnight at 82k !!!!! That is just down right rudeness!

I'm sure they weren't. But since the warranty is federal I can't imagine making much head way with it. Plus I need to get it fixed so the dealer can fix the valve train. I'm sure it's possible to get something out of them, but at this point I think this way is the least amount of headache for me.