Change plugs or not on an 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just turned 40,000 miles on my 07. I have always been able to changed plugs on anything. I'm seeing the horror stories about plug replacement in the 3 valve engines and broken plugs. I hate the idea of taking it to the dealer to do something I can do and the possibility of a $1000+ bill. I'm thinking about getting everything together over the winter and doing it in the spring. Is it worth getting the removal kit for the broken plugs and doing it myself?

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have heard the earlier you do them the better your chances for no issues. i did mine at about 75k( bought truck with 70 so i dont know if they were done) and i only had one seperate. the removal kit i bought was from ebay and worked great. i head to let them sit with some pb blast sprayed down the hole overnight before you try to pull them. not sure if it really helps or not. i would say get the kit ahead of time just in case you do have one break.

OP
OP
DF5.4

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am planning on getting the kit before I start. What plugs did use?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the rush, you have another 60K miles before you need to change plugs.

the 3V engines have 2 piece spark plugs. they are JUNK! if you wait till 100k or so they will break then you have to do twice as much work. so if you replace them now then no issues later down the line. i would replace them and get motorcraft plugs. thats about the only plug these engines will except.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I learn something new every day, thanks panda!

yeah thats what were here for. idk why ford put 2 piece plugs in. cause the 1 pieces are actually cheaper since they are more mass produced. what ever what was their thinking there i would want to shoot the guy that said lets use those!

and when the 6.2 came out people were hoping they didnt use the 2 piece plugs, they dont, but its because they came with 16 plugs. 2 on each cylinder.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expeditions made after november 07 use normal one piece plugs.

do they? i just assumed with the 3V they used them. if so then your fine and have no worry about them. one way to check is to pull one out and see. shouldnt take more then 10 mins.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
theres a reason i pay for convenience and become worry/stress free...factory recommendations are at 100K intervals...i only paid just over $700 and that was for oil/all cops/trans exchange/differentials/filters/and 1 or 2 more things...they told me straight up because of the cops they give the job 1.5 days...but it was ready by 9 AM the next day...so they had the truck for 24hrs...it did give them trouble...so thats what they get paid for in my eyes...just not worth the trouble...to me...