Chassis grounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dimension12

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where all the chassis grounds are located? 99 EB with 5.4 4x4. With the stalling and multiple codes of different areas makes me think I have a ground issue. Crawling under truck and tracing wires today.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You would be better off googling for that question, but chassis grounds should be pretty easy to find since they are mostly visible. With multiple codes it could be any ground, not necessarily a chassis ground. There are PCM grounds, grounds for the coils etc. DM member Bedrck47. He's pretty savvy with electrical.

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
Thank you. I have new battery cables coming. They are very corroded and I will be able to clean all the ground connections durring installation. Just recently the OD off light started flashing. When I put it in Neutral and shut it off then restart, while driving, the OD off light stops flashing and the abs light goes out for a few miles. Drove with fuel pressure gauge and is within spec. I get coil codes, cyl head too hot codes, fuel tank purge codes, long trim stays around 10 and 1 downstream O2 intermit. shows N/A.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you. I have new battery cables coming. They are very corroded and I will be able to clean all the ground connections durring installation. Just recently the OD off light started flashing. When I put it in Neutral and shut it off then restart, while driving, the OD off light stops flashing and the abs light goes out for a few miles. Drove with fuel pressure gauge and is within spec. I get coil codes, cyl head too hot codes, fuel tank purge codes, long trim stays around 10 and 1 downstream O2 intermit. shows N/A.

OD flashing is tranny, speed sensor, solenoid. Somewhere along those lines. Are you noticing issues there. Have you checked the wiring and wiring harness to the tranny?

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
Yard work took me away from the truck today. Putting it up on jack stands in the AM to inspect that harness.
The trans fluid is still red and smells fresh.

Last edited:

Will H

Reaction score
Body(firewall) to engine (pass side)
Frame to radiator support (pass side)
Frame to body (pass side)

Those are the "big 3" as they call them.

The factory ones are junk.

OP
OP
D

dimension12

Reaction score
Got the new cables on. Cleaned the under hood grounds. Runs much better. Injectors are going in as soon as it cools enough to be compfortable to work on it.