Cheapest Way to Get a Spare Key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are the options for getting a spare key besides going to the dealership for it? (I have one key and would like a second spare). For some reason when I search for "key" nothing comes up. If I have to go to the dealership, how much will it be?

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
holy cow you live! ebay for the key, get it cut, then take it into the stealership to get it programmed. then buy 3rd cut it and program it your self.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
holy cow you live! ebay for the key, get it cut, then take it into the stealership to get it programmed. then buy 3rd cut it and program it your self.

absolutely right

The locksmith might be able to program the key to the car. Some can.

only if the truck doesnt need a key with a transponder...i went to two and they didnt have transponder keys

rex450se

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went through this and this is what I found around me. The dealer wanted $130 to cut a second key and reprogram both my existing key and the new one. A local locksmith did it for $65. I then bought 2 off of ebay for under $20 and had the local locksmith cut them for $10 and then programed those two myself.

Victor

Expypate

Reaction score
I'm in the lock business and you guys are correct. 99+ trucks need two keys to make a third. I just bought two more for my own new truck just to avoid the hassle if I lose one. I can get the newer ones with the remote built into the head, but just got two cheapies for the spares. Don't ever go to a dealer for the keys. The original keys were made by Hurd or Strattec and available to local locksmiths.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, you have to call around. Some locksmiths can do it, others can't. Either way, it'll be a lot cheaper than the dealer.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i paid $90 dollars...$60-ish for key...$30 for programming