Spare key in a hitch vault? Safe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my old expy I kept a spare key in a "hitch safe" (see picture). It's a little lock box that goes in the trailer hitch receiver. I'd like to do the same on my new 2023, but I am concerned that having the fob there would allow anyone to open the doors.

Has anyone done this?

Is the hitch safe enough of a faraday cage to prevent unlocking?

Thoughts?

(One option might be to store it apart with the battery out, but that sounds like asking for trouble. )

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 11

Southpawhd

Reaction score
No keypad on door?

What about passive entry? If you do, that extra fob might allow entry in doors, and for sure in the liftgate.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
One of those small faraday cage pouches should fit in the hitch safe with no problem. I have a small faraday cage pouch and with the key fob in the pouch I can stand right next to the drivers door and it won’t unlock when I press the button through the pouch or grab the handle and pull. As others have mentioned putting your spare in a faraday cage pouch inside the vehicle and using the keypad to get in would be an additional layer of security. Those wheeled combo locks are pretty easy to get into.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of those small faraday cage pouches should fit in the hitch safe with no problem. I have a small faraday cage pouch and with the key fob in the pouch I can stand right next to the drivers door and it won’t unlock when I press the button through the pouch or grab the handle and pull. As others have mentioned putting your spare in a faraday cage pouch inside the vehicle and using the keypad to get in would be an additional layer of security. Those wheeled combo locks are pretty easy to get into.

Thanks for the faraday bag idea!!!

My main concerns are
* Lost key
* Dead battery

The keypad on the door solves neither.
* Can't drive without a key
* Keypad won't work with dead battery

This come from years of car camping at festivals. Very easy to lose a key in a hay field. Also very easy to kill a battery while camping and recharging phones, etc.

The faraday cage solves both
* Replacement key if needed
* Can open hood for a jump start.

Thanks.

Rollins

Reaction score
Does the keypad still work when the battery is dead? I have a '17 with PTS and when my battery "died" (No start, no power running boards, but the touchscreen displayed a low battery message) I could still use the keypad to open the door.

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
In short - NO! Use your key pad for re-entry and hide the extra key somewhere in side the truck. (Like maybe under the Jack in the back compartment.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pull the mechanical key out of it and put that in the hitch. That'll get you into the car even with a dead battery so you can pop the hood to jump start it. Keypad won't unlock the doors with dead battery.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just pull the mechanical key out of it and put that in the hitch. That'll get you into the car even with a dead battery so you can pop the hood to jump start it. Keypad won't unlock the doors with dead battery.

I also want to be able to get in and drive in case my primary key and fob go missing.

I am now thinking put the mechanical key in the hitch vault (externally accessible) and then hide the spare fob in the truck in a faraday cage/bag.