Spare key in a hitch vault? Safe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can confirm that if the fob is in the center console and the doors are locked with the keypad the doors don't unlock unless the keypad is used to unlock. The battery has to be dead dead to not unlock the doors this way but if you had the mechanical key outside that would work. I think the faraday bag is not needed but sure use it if you want.

I lock my expedition this way when mountain biking all the time. I guess the only real issue is if someone were to break in I guess they could start it. Usually, those people are just smash and grabs not trying to steal the car. Seen more issues with stealing exhaust parts than smash and grabs lately. I know all areas differ but this method works for me.

retired_chemist

Reaction score
Store the extra fob with the battery removed in an inside safe. The doors and tailgate will not open and the START button will say "No key detected."