Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check engine light has been on for years, when i had checked the code it was something like bank 1 sensor 2 or bank 2 sensor 1 not sure which. Also something about it running to lean. So i changed all the o2 sensors and it still throws the same code??????????

A guy once told me if you use aftermarket sensors they still throw the code, is that true? Motorcraft sensors are so expensive!

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anytime you do a repair where the CEL is on it needs to be reset. You can disconnect the NEG cable from the battery for a few mins or pull the PCM fuse and the light will reset. IF it comes back on then theres still an issue.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check engine light has been on for years...............................

That's a good way to cause greater problems. Cat could be shot. MAF could go as well. The list goes on. Get your codes read. Fix the minor stuff. You can pay now or pay even more later.
Aftermarket o2 sensors are fine.

Last edited:

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did u change air mass flow sensor ? plus get a new air filter...

i had same code...erased it...came back after 3 weeks r so all the time...i saw air filter was dirty and washed it...lol:rolleyes:...just for the heck of it. well light came on maybe 5-7 weeks later. so i got 1 of those filters with the high airflow tube and stuff....light never returned...kit cost me $165 thou....

OP
OP
M

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had replaced the mass air flow sensor, and filter, code still keeps popping. same code i even changed the o2 sensors twice. still get the same code.

OP
OP
M

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok......just got back from autozone. 1 code they pulled up. code p0136 bank 2 that's all the guy told me. i had him reset it and it usually pops on the way home maybe about a 2-3 mile ride and it hasn't come back on. $10 bucks says it comes back tomorrow. we'll see..............

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
po136 bank 1 sensor 2 low voltage (lean) most often caused by a dirty sensor you can remove and clean if you so desire i would replace with a bosch after market or a motorcraft not my first choice

OP
OP
M

mic_1011

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just like i predicted, it's back. OK first i've replaced them twice-- all 4. a buddy of mine used to work in a parts store, so they were 5 finger cheap. they weren't either bosch or motorcraft. i still have 1 new in the box - not sure what brand. but i figure when the weather gets a little better i'll go out and change it again. second which one is bank 1 sensor 2??and last which would not be your first choice the bosch or the motorcraft? and why?. another issue is i think i might have a slight exhaust leak(not sure exactly where) could that be a cause and if not what else could cause this code????