Chips/Shift Kit will it save my trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've heard the electronic shift regulators, the ones you can set to shift at a certain point, are the miracle way to save your transmission.
Ford being Ford, I know the trans will be a problem almost as quickly as it would be if I owned a Dodge, so i want to do everything I can to save it. Adding a little HP/MPG wouldn't hurt either.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
That nice smooth shift that you feel is a result, in part, of trans slippage. The rest of the smoothness comes from the ecu cutting engine power during the shift. A programmer, like the edge that I use, will firm up the shifts and increase mpg a bit.

Any time a trans slips it creats friction and heat which are the sworn enemies of trans longevity.

I use my edge in "tow" mode and then fine tune the shifts several clicks "firm".

OP
OP
I

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay great, so def. worth it then. Nice Expy, I ended up with a white one too. No lift yet, still searching for a good price, and finishing up some Bondo work...Lots of rust under the doors.