CLASSIC AND DREADED HVAC PROBLEMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordMafia

Reaction score
Hi all I was looking for some help with this issue. Ive read many, many posts and watched a lot of youtube videos and still couldnt figure out a solution.
I'll try to lay the problem out as clearly as possible:
Ive replaced both front (behind the radio, it's not the drivers side one as there is no noise from there) and rear blend door actuators... they still click. I know it's these as I placed my hand on em and ran the ac. I also recalibrated the ac by removing fuses 15 and 46 while car is off for 1 min at least then plug back in and turn on car. Still no luck. I also noticed at this time that the rear vents will blow cold air when the ac is on but will not blow anything if I turn on heat... I tried this by controlling from front and controlling from back.
If anything the knocking sound is louder now because the new motors have all their splines intact lol.
I did take the opportunity to fix the solder on the radio while it was out and at least that went right for me lol.
I'm not sure where to go from here and any advice would be appreciated.
For reference I'm in a 2010 Expedition Eddie Bauer

OP
OP
F

FordMafia

Reaction score
Before anyone says to search the forum I have searched all over this specific one and google and couldn't find anything to advise me after doing all the above. So I made an account and here we are.

Brons2

Reaction score
I pulled the negative battery cable when I replaced mine, was disconnected for a number of hours, didn't have a problem when I reconnected.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pulled the negative battery cable when I replaced mine, was disconnected for a number of hours, didn't have a problem when I reconnected.
That would be my suggestion as well. These things hold voltage forever. A battery disconnect should be telling imo

OP
OP
F

FordMafia

Reaction score
@Fastcar @Brons2 appreciate the suggestions. I'll have some time to try that on Friday or Saturday. Fingers crossed it works.
You think 2 hours should be good? I will definitely update with results unless @Lorlainie beats me to it.

OP
OP
F

FordMafia

Reaction score
@Fastcar @Brons2 @Lorlainie no luck unfortunately. I first did a fuse reset (plugged em back in right after) and then unplugged the battery for maybe 4 or 5 hours and then when I came back I hooked everything up and turned ignition to on position without starting for maybe a min before starting and heard that classic knocking. These are brand new actuators front and back and the front one I sent back and got replaced because I thought it was faulty for knocking. I had all the panels out so I could make sure once again where the noise was coming from and it's definitely these.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WAG only. Could be a relay telegraphing. The rear blowing cold but no hot is more of a concern to me and points to something more. Gotta get a schematic for this puppy or you'll drive yourself nuts with this.

OP
OP
F

FordMafia

Reaction score
Oh it's already starting to drive me nuts lol. I did notice that on the rear controls that are for the back passengers there is a mode setting that's also around the temp setting knob. You can see what I mean on the link I include for a spare control for rear. I never noticed that before so I can't really determine if that's what's happening. But it makes sense in the sense that heat rises, but also no sense bc why wouldn't you want as much hot air as possible when it's cold.