Clicking sound from behind the dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Triplet Dad

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear they are honoring the warranty but what a PIA to have to change it again.

Luckily this is the one by the gas pedal and only takes about 10 minutes to replace. Right now I adjusted the direction by hand and left the actuator out...it's nice to not hear the grinding every time I start the engine. I will take another photo of the good actuator once I get it.

nubia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the fuse so I can try to re-set/calibrate?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Bernard

Reaction score
OK... there are some gremlins inside my A/C:(.
Had the clicking for several years now, when I change the temp.
Once I took it apart and saw some teeth broke but didn't want to wait for the replacement, with everything dissembled, so I tried the reversed "shaft" method - didn't work... was still clicking.

Any ways.
The blower connector gave up completely so at the same opportunity that I replaced the connector (and the resistor), I decided to replace the temp blend motor.

Got a new replacement actuator and installed it - then things got... interesting:(.

The clicking are there... at the highest and lowest temp.
I disconnected the actuator I just installed and... it still clicks!!! With no power!
The air blowing temp did not change but I could feel the clicks from somewhere around the temp actuator, when I "went" from cold to hot... It clicks only close to the max hot/cold.
I disconnected the left side (driver side) actuator (never clicked when changed the air flow direction up/middle/down) - still clicking from the same place.

No power to both actuators and still clicking.

What next - the actuator on the right side?
But I think I can "feel" the clicks on the middle.
Does the right side actuator has anything to do with the temp changes?

Any advice?

Thanks,
Bernard.

vintageman

Reaction score
New member here and first post on this forum. I just traded in my 2010 Expedition and picked up a 2014 EL Limited but had the clicking noise behind the dash issue. The actuator that was replaced was readily accessible by removing the radio then looking toward the right side. With my vehicle, I had originally had it in at the dealership because it would blow hot air through all the vents (when on heat) but only put out cold air on the front passenger side. No adjustments were able to be made on that side for floor, vent, or defog. Dealership replaced the part, worked great until the following winter when the same thing happened. I took it apart to find out that the service mechanic had only put one of the mounting bolts back in, the one on the back is harder to get to so he left it out. I found a bolt that fit and installed it, no more clicking and no more issues. Whole process took about 20 minutes or so to fix.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New member here and first post on this forum. I just traded in my 2010 Expedition and picked up a 2014 EL Limited but had the clicking noise behind the dash issue. The actuator that was replaced was readily accessible by removing the radio then looking toward the right side. With my vehicle, I had originally had it in at the dealership because it would blow hot air through all the vents (when on heat) but only put out cold air on the front passenger side. No adjustments were able to be made on that side for floor, vent, or defog. Dealership replaced the part, worked great until the following winter when the same thing happened. I took it apart to find out that the service mechanic had only put one of the mounting bolts back in, the one on the back is harder to get to so he left it out. I found a bolt that fit and installed it, no more clicking and no more issues. Whole process took about 20 minutes or so to fix.
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the tip.

Bernard

Reaction score

Thanks.

I put all the 2 screws back in and tighten it.
But I will give it a try and double check/tight.

Bernard.

nubia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a very easy job. I installed one myself in 25 minutes. I bought the part using the OP's link on Amazon... Much appreciated and it works flawlessly

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dand

Reaction score
1000 miles from home and developed the blend door problem. This 2nd time for this 10 xpdtn now at 106xxx miles. Its in cold position, can I expect it to remain there til I get home in 7 days.

Does anyone know if this design flaw is fixed in the 2018's. May rethink up coming trade if not fixed.