Clunking Noise Low Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95gt

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Limited El. In July i installed all new struts (4 wheels), new brakes & rotors, front (upper control arms, lower ball joints. All was fine about 4k miles after starting hearing a clunking noise when going over bumps at low speeds. Nothing at highway speeds. I installed new half axles and still having the same problem. I have had 2 shops look at it and they cannot find anything wrong. I'm at the end of my rope. Any suggestions? No noise when turning or corning.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roll the window down and listen closely. I was hearing a clunking and a weird sensation. Turned out to be hub actuator half engaging and grinding away.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Check the sway bar end links. My bothers F150 only had a clunk at low speed that 2 shops couldn't find. I found it last weekend at the end links. Bushing looked to be 100% but they were nonexistent just the outer shell was still intact. I found it by moving the sway bar around with a pry bar. It should be pretty stuff and no excessive movement at the end links

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The aftermarket sway bar links are junk. I replaced the broken r/s one with Ford parts that broke. Their thick, come with right bolt/nut. You have to order parts separate. You might look into Ford stuff, was available for 2000 model, should be cake walk for 2011 model. Isolate to be sure first though.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Chris C

Reaction score
Check your strut mounts. I had bolt that was over torqued snap on the front. Visually, there was enough tension that they looked okay, but when you tried to loosen/or tighten you'll notice it. The noise it made sounded almost as if the strut or something was loose. I had changed my sway bar links thinking the one on that side was the cause. Finally I took it back in to the shop that did my struts and they found the problem real quick.

That's what I got for being to lazy to do the struts myself. This was on my wife's Chevy Traverse.

cwharding

Reaction score
Does it happen in 4wd?

My ‘13 needed an IWS sensor on the left front hub. Only made noise in 2wd.

Last edited: