Common Coolant Leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cameron

Reaction score
Hello! I am a new member and not the brightest mechanic in the world so I appologize in advance if I mistake terms. I picked up a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT with the 4.6L about two months ago and she has been amazing to me. So amazing that she is becoming one of my favorite vehicles out of the many vehicles that I have owned over the years. With that said, she has sprung a coolant leak. It seems as though it is coming from the driver's side, towards the front, under the radiator. I cannot get a clear view as the frame(?) or some sort of support beam is in my way. I traced the coolant from the puddle to that part of the frame(?) or beam, it then goes slightly more towards the front and then up to where the radiator sits. All vehicles have their own list of common issues. So, my question is this, is there any common coolant leaks in the area that I am trying to describe? I haven't taken anything apart to get a more thorough view as I am wanting to know what I should look for. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leaks usually occur at the inlet/outlet hose connections and the plastic tanks where they connect to the radiator. Check the clamps to make sure they are not loose, hoses aren't leaking. If the tank gasket is leaking it is recommended to replace the radiator instead of wasting time trying to patch it.
If you need to replace it, I'd recommend replacing the hoses, water pump, serp belt, tensioner and idler pulleys. If they haven't been changed they have the same amount of age & wear and will go eventually.

OP
OP
C

Cameron

Reaction score
I took advantage of some free time that I had this morning and worked on this coolant leak that I have going on. I took all of the plastic pieces off to expose the radiator. After doing that, I dried / cleaned every part that got wet or dirty from the coolant that leaked out, thus giving me a better view of where the leak could be coming from. After my preparation work, I filled up the coolant tank and started up the motor, running the heaters. I kept my eye on hoses, radiator, coolant tank, etc. I let it run until it was at normal operation temperature and still no coolant leaked out. I checked the coolant level in the tank and it was still where it needed to be so I put the pressurized cap back on, shut the hood, and took it for a spin around the block. Once I got back, I checked on things under the hood as well as under the truck and still no coolant coming out. The coolant level was still where it needed to be. The temperature in the cab read normal operating temperature. Obviously, a leak cannot patch itself. Now my question is, what could have happened? It leaked out coolant a couple of days ago and now it is not leaking any coolant. I do not understand.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Cameron, there are a few of us on here over 50. Our eye sight isn't what it used to be.....so what is it with the condensed type????

Leaks won't fix themselves but give it time. If you have a leak it will come back.

Don't run straight tap water or tap water mixed with coolant. Only use distilled water when mixing. Bring the level back to the cold mark when the engine has cooled. What the level of a few days to see if it is dropping.
These tanks are plastic and can crack from the heat. If it is like my 99 there is a hose at the bottom of the tank. Check the clamp to see if is tight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cameron

Reaction score
I am terrible sorry. As I said in my first post, I am new at this. I guess I did not take the font into consideration. I changed to a different font and went up in size. Is this one better? I can copy and paste my last reply if you would like me to.

OP
OP
C

Cameron

Reaction score
This is where my bad mechanic skill comes into play. I used tap water out of my sink to fill up the coolant level in my tank. It was not that much but could it harm my cooling system or worse the motor?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your in the custom profile you can leave the fields blank for the default font and type size.

No, I just leaned closer to the screen to read your post.....no need to repost it. I think all of them changed size any way.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tap water is bad only because it will conduct electricity. Distilled water doesn't have minerals in it so no conductance. You can have electrolysis occur in the cooling system and over time will eat the metal. Usually hits the radiator and heater cores first. The distilled water helps to reduce the conductance of the coolant.

That is the reason the previous owner of my expy sold it real cheap. Her "mechanic" couldn't figure out why it was eating radiators and heater cores.

If it turns out your radiator is bad, mix a new batch of coolant with distilled water and the 100% coolant that all the parts houses sell. Use green coolant only. Right now the tap water isn't that big of a deal if you only used a little and will change it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cameron

Reaction score
That makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I really appreciate all these tips and suggestions for both my coolant leak and my posts. You are being very helpful. I think I will replace all hoses and possibly clamps. After that, I will take it and get a coolant flush so there is new stuff in it. I do not want to take any risks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your replacing the hoses you can flush it yourself. Why pay someone when can do it? Coolant doesn't go bad, the additives in it are consumed. The coolant change is really for replacing the additives.

In the big truck world we check the cooling system for the state of charge and add a charge pack when needed. Coolant is only changed when something lets go or is added that screws the system up.