Condensation in light assembly. Normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zarga

Reaction score
Noticed this a couple weeks back. Condensation in both tail lights. Should I be concerned?

20180212_150604.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nothing to be concerned about. If the seals start leaking like crazy and you get water droplets inside the dealer should fix under warranty. Usually Ford doesn't get bad headlights and taillights like BMW. Mine are over ten years old and still have no fading or moisture inside. If the temp and humidity is just right this can occasionally happen on any vehicle.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It makes specific reference to it somewhere in the manual. It says there is a "check valve" type device for pressure to release etc. says it may develop condensation.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, totally normal. Actually, if you look right here, there’s a little hole in the plexiglass. I thought it was a defect or damage until I saw it was on both sides and read in the manual what edizzle mentioned. a1a0d67c6f0e1f5bc63f2502dd0b46ed.jpg

From the manual:
Condensation in the Exterior Front Lamps and Rear Lamps
Exterior front lamps and rear lamps have vents to accommodate normal changes in air pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal condensation occurs, a fine mist can form on the interior of the lens. The fine mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during normal operation.
Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry weather conditions.
Examples of acceptable condensation are:
The presence of a fine mist (no streaks, drip marks or large droplets).
A fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.
Examples of unacceptable condensation are:
A water puddle inside the lamp.
Streaks, drip marks or large droplets present on the interior of the lens.
If you see any unacceptable condensation, have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s not a hole, it’s a divot left over from the manufacturing process that someone at Ford saved a couple pennies per lense by using a single injection port in the center of the mold vs multiple ones around the entire perimeter. The vent is on he back side of the assembly.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s not a hole, it’s a divot left over from the manufacturing process that someone at Ford saved a couple pennies per lense by using a single injection port in the center of the mold vs multiple ones around the entire perimeter. The vent is on he back side of the assembly.
Ha! You are correct (although I did have to confirm) and I feel dumb. Oh well, it happens occasionally.

rcompart

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to feel dumb, I literally had the the same initial reaction as you. I saw it while refueling, said to myself ‘WTH’, pulled out my pocket screwdriver, checked to see if it was a hole or a cavity, determined it wasn’t a hole, said ‘WTH’ again, walked around to the other side, saw the passenger side tail lamp had the same divot, said ‘WTH’ one more time for good measure, walked around the front and inspected the headlamps, found no such divots, said to myself ‘phew’, and then the fuel filler clicked.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Until I start seeing every other NEW car on the road with fogged lenses, I'm not sure I'd consider that normal.

My first thought was it could be a byproduct of LEDs not generating incandescent heat, but we've had several vehicles with LED tail lights and not a single one of them clouded over like that with condensation. Notta one.

I'd have to start experimenting with heat tape or something on the backside of the assembly.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Over time this will discolor the inside of lens. I had a Lincoln, with foggy headlights. I replaced them, for this reason. The new one started doing it also. I wound up using a RTV, silicone sealant, around the seams and problem went away. Have the dealer write it up and keep a record of what they do. Moisture and electrical don't mix. Bulbs and sockets, can be damaged.